Who’s up for getting down

I knew better coming into this work.
Watch guys go broke waiting for the go ahead. All your eggs in one basket, so to speak. I spent my time creating monthly clients and niche work. If I get a couple clear days, or even partials, I can make a call and pick my battles. Better than trying to eat out every day and might get a day in a week, or stewing in a motel room.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My son just tried the OP 45lbs/hiking test, he did it in 42 minutes on an undulating woods trail in town open space. He's 31 y o and keeps in good shape using calisthenics, running and cold tub. First time he ever tried rucking, liked it. :rockhard:

Last edited:
Now I gotta try it but if it took him 42 minutes, a little voice is telling me my shot at 45 min is not looking good:lol:;)

Yeah aight so I got the Strava app so I can see how far and fast I go, or rather, how slow :headbang: . Hiked with 20lbs in the pack a few times in previous weeks before strava and it felt fine. Then today I had the urge to do something after watching the vid about stone lifting so I carried a 45 lb kettlebell around my house multiple times for a mile. Um, I'm here to say I gotta pick up the pace and 45 lbs is heavy imo :headbang:;).

Nice work out though 🦍

I don't doubt that at all.

But I like what Nutball said about the concept of dealing with heavy stuff:

Same for me when it comes to moving an unsplit round of firewood, or a huge chainsaw, until I actually start working, then I forget about the weight. The increased blood flow from hard work increases strength and endurance.

Not to mention focusing on the task at hand rather than simply the physicality of the task.

I was on a hike once, didn't want to go, but kinda had to, and I knew it would be an all day hike of unknown length (10, 12, maybe even 20miles or so). Towards the end our group took a wrong turn since the path wasn't clearly marked and planned out ahead of time. My knees and legs were already hurting a lot, because I don't do that much walking. The trail starts to look unmaintained and damaged, then starts again on the other side of a creek, so we knew we messed up. Now my legs really hurt, and it's getting dark. I run over a ridge in the general direction we should have taken, hear others, and see a trail. All of a sudden my legs don't hurt anymore, because I know I'm almost out of there.

Mind power!

That's a great story. Thank you.

I lost the trail before and drifted off into rugged territory, and finally coming to the conclusion, I'm off trail, Stupid. Go back to where I made the wrong turn and find out the reason why. Forks along an unfamiliar trail, without a sign or marker are classic. Lose a coupe hours, or a whole day, if your really stupid.

I think either both trails were marked with the same color, or the good trail switched colors.

Either way, I learned that my body whines and complains until it gets its way, even though nothing is really wrong yet. It happens with food too. I get hungry, but decide to wait, and hat's when I get really hungry, so I decide to eat, but don't actually get around to it until I'm ready a while later, and I don't feel so hungry anymore in the mean time, if I successfully fooled my body.

Trail? Haha, what is that? I'm kidding a bit but much of what we do up here is off trail (bushwhacking). Navigation skills for the win.
A trail to make our travel to the destination much longer than necessary. I did bushwhack across a small ridge in the direction I figured we should be going, and sure enough found a shortcut to the right trail. I'm pretty good about direction until I'm not. I was a half mile in the woods from where I needed to get back to by a certain time, and was sure about which way to go, so I ran until I came to a road, and realized I was running 90 degrees from where I should have. I should have checked with the sun first.

Back