The Tree House loves TreeStuff!

Cone screw for splitting large wood.

Page

TreeHouser
I do all my firewood on a large processor. I can put up to 22” in it I believe. Maybe a bit bigger. However if I want to do a pace of 4 cords an hour, I have to use only choice logs. 16” and straight. I’ve considered using that cone screw to break up the bigger chunks but I only have the dingo to run it. I feel like they should probably be run on an excavator. Anybody have one on a mini? Is it slow ? Can you only do short pieces ? It would only be worth it if I could do at least 8’

PCTREE

Treehouser
I used a "Stickler" years ago that you took the wheel off your truck and mounted it to the hub. It worked pretty good for splitting regular firewood sized pieces. I mounted it on a hydraulic motor that I mounted on my chipper so we could split longer stuff to chip. It was a failure for that. I got interested in a splitting grapple that I could mount on my wheel loader but haven't finished that project yet. I don't care about firewood but have to dispose of so much wood . Anything I can do to offset the cost of that interests me!

treesmith

Banned
I had a tractor mounted “Bark Buster” years ago. Pretty much a waste of time unless you had wood that split clean, like red oak. Anything “stringy”, and you had a mess. A larger, hydraulic version on a skid steer/mini should do fine for splitting bigger/longer pieces. CA08931C-2A98-420A-90CE-A287AFAAE8A9.jpeg 290669AF-F680-4D3B-B279-FEAA3A17FB05.jpeg

Page

TreeHouser
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can currently get rid of all material pretty easy and cheaply. There’sa land clearing company less then a mile from my shop. If the cone thing worked great I’d get it but it sounds like it’s not worth it.

BeerGeek

Treehouser
Look at August Hunicke's YouTube channel back in mid-late 2019; he did a video on the one he demo'd ( and I think eventually bought); runs it on his Vermeer CTX-100s

BeerGeek

Treehouser
He uses the Eterra screw in this vid; there's another shorter one in a different themed vid; I'll see if I can find it later.

treesmith

Banned
I first saw one demoed back in about 1980. Our 4-H or FFA group (can’t recall which) went to an ah fair of sorts. They had a mid-70s F100 jacked up and one rear wheel removed and a cone attachment bolted in its place. Had the truck idling in (D), and a guy was splitting wood as fast as he could stick it to the cone. Using the ground as the stop. The Bark Buster had a spin bar to stop it. It worked, but lacked a lot in efficiency.

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
They used to have then on the big truck mounted chippers, here.
Dropped them if favour of a hydraulic clamp splitter, because they were too inefficient.

flushcut

TreeHouser
Image 3.jpg
What now? Who's on first? I been drinking on a empty stomach, looked at a whole truck load of work today so taking a long lunch was in order. One of the trees is a huge walnut and if it survives the felling it will be on a slow boat to Japan and I retire. LOL

Auger drive Atom Splitter 20" straight ash if I remember right. Works well. Image.jpg
And this whole tree went thru the chipper BC 1500, 60'er about the same spread of a silver maple. Chips were easier to get rid of than wood. Good sized but not gigantic squaty trunked

The Tree House Loves TreeStuff!