Cone screw for splitting large wood.

Page

TreeHouser
I do all my firewood on a large processor. I can put up to 22” in it I believe. Maybe a bit bigger. However if I want to do a pace of 4 cords an hour, I have to use only choice logs. 16” and straight. I’ve considered using that cone screw to break up the bigger chunks but I only have the dingo to run it. I feel like they should probably be run on an excavator. Anybody have one on a mini? Is it slow ? Can you only do short pieces ? It would only be worth it if I could do at least 8’

I used a "Stickler" years ago that you took the wheel off your truck and mounted it to the hub. It worked pretty good for splitting regular firewood sized pieces. I mounted it on a hydraulic motor that I mounted on my chipper so we could split longer stuff to chip. It was a failure for that. I got interested in a splitting grapple that I could mount on my wheel loader but haven't finished that project yet. I don't care about firewood but have to dispose of so much wood . Anything I can do to offset the cost of that interests me!

I had a tractor mounted “Bark Buster” years ago. Pretty much a waste of time unless you had wood that split clean, like red oak. Anything “stringy”, and you had a mess. A larger, hydraulic version on a skid steer/mini should do fine for splitting bigger/longer pieces. CA08931C-2A98-420A-90CE-A287AFAAE8A9.jpeg 290669AF-F680-4D3B-B279-FEAA3A17FB05.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can currently get rid of all material pretty easy and cheaply. There’sa land clearing company less then a mile from my shop. If the cone thing worked great I’d get it but it sounds like it’s not worth it.

Look at August Hunicke's YouTube channel back in mid-late 2019; he did a video on the one he demo'd ( and I think eventually bought); runs it on his Vermeer CTX-100s

He uses the Eterra screw in this vid; there's another shorter one in a different themed vid; I'll see if I can find it later.

I first saw one demoed back in about 1980. Our 4-H or FFA group (can’t recall which) went to an ah fair of sorts. They had a mid-70s F100 jacked up and one rear wheel removed and a cone attachment bolted in its place. Had the truck idling in (D), and a guy was splitting wood as fast as he could stick it to the cone. Using the ground as the stop. The Bark Buster had a spin bar to stop it. It worked, but lacked a lot in efficiency.

They used to have then on the big truck mounted chippers, here.
Dropped them if favour of a hydraulic clamp splitter, because they were too inefficient.

Image 3.jpg
What now? Who's on first? I been drinking on a empty stomach, looked at a whole truck load of work today so taking a long lunch was in order. One of the trees is a huge walnut and if it survives the felling it will be on a slow boat to Japan and I retire. LOL

Auger drive Atom Splitter 20" straight ash if I remember right. Works well. Image.jpg
And this whole tree went thru the chipper BC 1500, 60'er about the same spread of a silver maple. Chips were easier to get rid of than wood. Good sized but not gigantic squaty trunked

Back