What's Your Favorite Saw You Own?

Stock 462c and Stock 500i with 24” bars or less really no difference In cutting performance, 500i drinks more fuel though , 572xp is right there in the mix as well with a 24” bar or less ... It is less expensive than the 462c and considerably less expensive than the 500i . All 3 saws will pull longer bars if needed - I guess a fellow would have to run all 3 units to pick a favorite...
Makita-Dolmar 7900 might round that bunch out nicely. I own echo 2511t, 2x 346xp, 2x 372xp, 2x 395xp and 3120xp . I want 390xp and Dolmar 7900

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How are Makitas as a complete lineup? Any junk in there, or are they all pretty good? I never really considered them cause there's no real dealers around here AFAIK. Just the usual box stores.

Never ran the 7900 personally ; listed at 6.3hp and almost 79cc but no dealer presence here in my locale

Here’s a vid showcasing 500i , 462c , 572xp and 7900 with a few bonus cuts from a ported 461 and a ported 390 with cut times. Much to the chagrin of some here , the 500i guzzles .3litres/hr more the a 661 and a full 1.0litre/hr more than a 572xp in fuel ,Personally the 500i is the Tin-foil hat candidate among the group...

Last edited:
I have a dolmar 7910, i absolutely love it. Makitas are very legit, but the limited dealer thing is a deal breaker for some. I do all my own work so it's fine for me.

The lack of a nearby dealer definitely sways buying decisions as one cannot readily view/hold/run said saw nor obtain the necessary replacement parts/components whether one has the dealer service or one does their own work ... The closest dolmar dealer to me is Jims 5star in Franklinville NY , 80mi or so round trip so unless they are giving them away I’ll stick with STIHL / Husqvarna! I’m sure dolmar/Makita makes a fine saw it’s just that I have both a STIHL and Husqvarna dealer within 10miles with a full selection of saws , parts and accessories:dur:

Last edited:
Yea, that's kinda where I'm at. We have Stihl, echo, and Husqvarna as a distant third. My Husky shop is Jacks Small Engine, and I can walk to it from the office, but if not for them, I wouldn't even know where to buy a pro Husky.

I’m sure Jacks small engine has Dolmar/Makita chainsaw parts available so it’s not like you cannot get parts ... I prefer having a local dealer available and unfortunately in my locale Dolmar/Makita isn’t an option ... The 7900/7910 can be made into a strong saw IF the modder is worth his/her salt

Yea, you can get any parts from Jacks, but I like a dealer that knows the products they're selling. It can be hit/miss in general, and particularly with echo, but it's the best shot of getting good info, and service if required. My preferred Stihl dealer is a long way away(~30 miles), but it's a real saw shop. Nothing fancy inside. Amish owned, an old Diston(I think) hanging from the ceiling, and wood floors, but they have every pro Stihl sold in the US on the shelf, and a full range of supplies. Ten+ different felling wedges instead of one or two little ones, chain by the reel, and files sold by the dozen. The owner also *knows* saws. He isn't just a /seller/. As a bonus, they're also cheap. All the other shops are list price. He's a lot more flexible. I love that place.

Love to try a 500i, maybe able to justify getting one on the back of all the work felling Ash trees with Chalara dieback. Always loved the 462 since I used one for a big dismantle when I was climbing for someone else, it's the power to weight ratio I especially like. It's taken the decline of the 044 to make me get one though. The 562 and the 395 are other favourites as well.

Fav big saw, my 460 Mag

Fav lil' saw, my 1999 ms020T - It still kicks ass and leaks gas but has done a 3 yr stint in Germany, making me loads of cash over the years.... Yeah, I have a 200 but it is not as close to my heart.

A 70cc that’s hopped up properly will put the hurt on a stock 90cc saw especially with 28” and under b/c .. The 241c/261c - 462c/572xp combo seems to handle 95% of my needs here on terra-firma

Just like how a 90cc will do the same to a 120cc, often times so well that it isn't worth getting a modded 120cc.

Weight and tree diameter are the factors in my equation ... Seldom have the need for a 660 or 395 in my neck of the woods let alone a 880 or 3120! Larger saws can be mighty thirsty and tend to wear a guy out

I am felling with a 461 on a 20” at the moment. Put a max flow air filter on it & a dual port muffler & it works well. I like the fact that I can drop a 25” on it for the arb work and it pulls with very little difference. A 462 would be nice but the local dealer is 1hr 20 away and useless with modern saws.

Damn straight Frankie....guys think it would be fun to run a 084/60" bar, bullcrap, the fun is gone in about 1 minute.

Its a tool that serves a purpose, thankfully I don't have to use it very often.

Ed
I’ve used a 395xp with a 42” bar Buckin a big silver maple and the job lost its “luster” very quickly ... I’d just as soon use a ported 241c (42cc 9.9lbs) on 14” or less rounds - fun to run for sure !

You aren't kidding. I think my 362 shows more wear, and it's only two years old.

My favorite saw? It changes from day to day, moment by moment. First the saw with full tanks of gas and bar oil, helps if it starts, even better if the chain is sharp, if the bar is long enough for the cut and it's got the power to pull that chain... well that's my favorite saw in that moment! Hahaha. Go check in on the jokes thread in 15 minutes cuz I got one I just remembered and one I just wrote.

Back