What's Your Favorite Saw You Own?

That's a good looking saw Jonny, hope it goes well. I've got one, it's done a lot of work but still goes well, they are a good saw.
Also got a 034 Super, got that in the same looking condition a few years ago. More power than the 034, keep it in the truck all the time, really good saw.

In my dreams I trade my 462 for a 500i for my 'big saw'
150t still my fave...

Both the 462c and 500i are fine saws for sure but I wouldn’t be too quick to throw the baby out with the bath water! You can squeeze a lot more juice out of the 462c ... If you are running 24” bars the 572xp can be made into a strong saw and for considerably less coin than either the 462c or the 500i ... Guess it all comes down to personal preference though when the dust settles

Dream because I can't reeeeaally justify more money for my 'big saw' when it doesn't get much use.
Better to buy a battery polesaw and groundsaw for the amount extra I'd have to outlay

I have a decent arsenal of Stihls. 066, 440 mag, 036, 029, 460, 261c, 201tc, and a 200.
Love them all ....... surprisingly I am not brand biased. I do have an old Echo top handled back up, a 193 top handle, and even an old eager beaver top handler with manual oiler.

I love my Stihls. Wouldn't mind a Husky or 2 and have interest in Dolmar I'm a gear/tool junkie for sure.

Tough to pick a favorite. Kinda depends on the task at hand. If I’m stripping out a white pine as I go up definitely a 200t. If I’m flushing a 48” stump 395. Slaying a big oak with a crane 562. Haven’t bought a Stihl since they shit the bed with the 201

I use very little saws but I have many saws so favorite tends to be the one I set up for this time.

Jonsered and Partner is very close to my heart. Older Husqvarna too.

Dolmar saws I like too. 5000 and 7000 series are fun to work with and not very hard to work on.

Do they still make Partner? I had one, probably around 70cc. Idk, I wasn't a huge fan

I'm taking a survey 550xp mk II or MS 261 c-m ?
Mods?
Stock?
Balance?
Bar length?
Chain type?

I'm looking for a replacement for my 346xp . I climbed and ran the begeezus out of that saw.
I see that Reg runs a 550xp

I think they are too close to have a definite winner, I'd base the decision on preferred brand. I prefer Husqvarna's better fit and finish. The 550mkII is definitely a strong saw stock. I'd run 3/8 chain. The .325 bar and chain that come with it are very good quality though.

Do they still make Partner?
Nope. That brand is now in bottom draw in Husqvarnas desk along with many other brands.
McCulloch replaced it in the stores, no pro saws other than Husqvarna in the Elux/Husqvarna brand with a few exceptions of the last Jonsered saws.

Nope. That brand is now in bottom draw in Husqvarnas desk along with many other brands.
McCulloch replaced it in the stores, no pro saws other than Husqvarna in the Elux/Husqvarna brand with a few exceptions of the last Jonsered saws.
What about Redmax?

Redmax Is Zenoah who is owned by Husqvarna ... iirc they were the first to develop the stratified 2cycle chainsaw engine ...

I have a 550xp mk1 which is a fine saw, have ran many of them and it is well balanced for sure. In hindsight I might have looked at a ported Echo 500p as they are lighter and no autotune, with port job it would be about the same $ as Husq and cheaper than 261. My 550xp can be finicky in the cold and errs on the side of cold-blooded but mk2 may be the tits?

What about Redmax?
Its an brand we don't get to see here. As I understand it its relabled Jonsereds, but I don't know much about it.
Production of Jonsereds will fade and eventually go away completely.
Redmax Is Zenoah who is owned by Husqvarna ... iirc they were the first to develop the stratified 2cycle chainsaw engine ...
Not sure about that... Tanaka had some of these engines very early too and it was no hit then, now or in 1920's when they first made the stratified engines. Rinco chainsaws had it 1922... Still not a good idea...

Its an brand we don't get to see here. As I understand it its relabled Jonsereds, but I don't know much about it.
Production of Jonsereds will fade and eventually go away completely.

Not sure about that... Tanaka had some of these engines very early too and it was no hit then, now or in 1920's when they first made the stratified engines. Rinco chainsaws had it 1922... Still not a good idea...
About RedMax® - https://www.redmax.com/us/about-redmax/ ... Magnus , this is the info I was going by regarding Redmax - I wasn’t aware that the stratified 2-stroke chainsaw motor was produced in 1920 ... Maybe it’s like STIHL 500i claiming to be “worlds first FI chainsaw” when Jonsereds produced one in the 1950’s :D

Frankie, for an internet saw guru, you are remarkably lacking in information.

The " World's first injected chainsaw" was invented by a Norwegian.
Rasmus Wiig put the " Comet" into production.
Later Jonsered acquired the license to build it and produced it as " Raket" ( Were they all a bit space fixated back then?, even before the faked moon landing).
It is not a true injection system, but still brilliant in it's way.
Just the idea of using the handle bars to hold the LPG or whatever was used to heat the firing point was a true stroke of genius.

Magnus is the 'Houser with most knowledge about them, might actually be the one person in the World with most knowledge about them.
He is the one, who showed me both tyhe Comet and the Jonsered lookalike.

I never considered myself an “internet saw guru” , but I can build a mean saw that will produce prodigiously(in the right hands) thank you very much ... Now , Rasmus Wiigs’ saw did not run on petrol or as we say here in the USA gasoline ... It ran on diesel, kerosene or distillate and was apparently Rube-Goldberg-esque in its starting procedure - it was discontinued because of safety issues and complications of starting it ... Jonsereds introduced their diesel saw to USA in 1954 using 2d batteries to run the glow-plug ... If battery died saw could not be started ! This issue and weak power led to its demise ... The STIHL 500i isn’t the First non-carb saw but is the First to be F.I. AND run on gas to the best of my knowledge! I know you sleep next to your 500i but for me I use ported 462c and ported 572xp ... with 20-24” b/c ... Cut circles around stock 500i using less fuel ... 500i is a fine saw but imho there are other older/modern saws that cost considerably less , perform as well or better and most importantly use less fuel than that gas hog

Soooo... Just so you guys know... There is at least one super heavyweight PNW builder who is thinking that he is definitely not a fan to the 500i. Will post more info when I get it.

Back