What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 508K
It's another cloudless, sunny day in Arizona, where it is currently 110 degrees and climbing! Sheesh. Thank goodness for central A/C! It's nice and cool in my apartment but, as soon as I walk outside, I feel like I'm inside of a charcoal grill! Even in the shade it's incredibly hot.

All of the little lizards that inhabit our property have mass migrated to my favorite eucalyptus tree in the courtyard! I was just watching them all scuttle around the stem and join their buddies who are already relaxing up in the branches amongst the foliage. They're cute and they do this interesting motion where they stand in place and repeatedly do the lizard equivalent of pushups, over and over again. I'm not sure why they do that, but it might help keep them cool.

I've spent a few hours photographing them with my 75-300mm telephoto lens. They are very camouflaged and appear to be much more social creatures than I had previous thought. Wherever there is one, there's always at least one more a few feet nearby and they often like to meet up together and...chat? I have no idea what they're doing, but I had always believed lizards roamed solo. I was very mistaken.

Well, at least as far as these little guys are concerned. I know larger lizards are very solitary.

Can't wait to get back to MA where the biodiversity and the wildlife is much more interesting to photograph; especially the birds!

Kiln dried fuggen stone hard oak mixed with 2 years of new brush growth. Mixed with barb wire fence. Mixed with rocks and bolders.
So you slash your way in to clear your ground. Brush cutters, loppers and chainsaws. Keep fire suppression kit close by. Cut sections of fence you can find. Some tacked to trees or trees have eaten. Pull barb wire and field fence out with whatever kit you can. See rocks and bolders. Then drop blackened crispy trees (oaks) into what you cleared to pull out the branches and wood by hand or kit. Chip the 4" minus. Reclaim the fire wood to process.

No. Thank the gods. So far, just a small section down to the creek draw and then follow a fence line down to his driveway. Then leaners over drive. Then I have some scorched cedar and sequoia to prune. Saving the easy for last on monthly visits. I can only about handle 4 hours of this shat in these 100 plus temps. Long haul to the chipp that is parked in the shade under two trees I pruned right after the fire two years ago.
HO was impressed enough with the two days work, he is jumping his budget double this month and we go back next week.

It was 115 degrees yesterday, which is just outright ridiculousness. Why, Arizona? Why? Why are you so stupidly hot? Why do you make me sweat after stepping out side for 3 minutes and standing in one place? Why do you prevent me from enjoying the great outdoors and from doing the activities I enjoy the most? Why do you make my cameras overheat and shut down? Why do you blast me with UV radiation? Why are you such a cruel and unforgiving mistress? I'm not going to miss you.

I'm so tired of seeing a little warning from the National Weather Service at the top of my phone, next to the the tiny weather indicator (that seems to endlessly be a cloudless sun), that says "extreme heat warning." I think it's been posted up there for over a month at this point. Lame. Ultra lame.

I'm going to be pulling Cool vests out this week and install the A/C in the window for the high 90s that are coming.

My house is shaded! Was 90 in town, so probably 80⁰ here. Still cool in the house from overnight air being pulled in, then shutting the house up.

Looks like a prolonged heat wave for us. 90's for the extended forecast. Not impressive to many of you, but really hard on us in the Northeast. Humidity was a bit lower today. 93 during my peak sawmilling window.

My first full day in Massachusetts was a high of 92 with an *average* of 81% humidity. The low will be 73. The humidity is gross and the worst has yet to come. August is always a b*tch in MA for high temps and humidity.

Honestly, though, even with the humidity, it isn't as bad as 105+ in Arizona. We had two days (just before I left) that were 115 and 116 degrees, and that was just unimaginably awful to walk anywhere in.

At least I can actually see myself doing stuff outside in this MA weather with enough motivation. Definitely would rather wait til it cools down, though. The humidity is a bit of a travel shock to my senses after four years with barely any.

Also, the air conditioner in my apartment is pretty loud. It's all I can hear until I get my TV setup and my internet setup. I'm sure it will become white noise soon...I hope.

I'll be interested in hearing your feelings on the heat this summer since you'll have had recent experiences with both kinds. I've never had that "dry heat" that's supposed to make things so much better, but I've been skeptical of the concept, especially when you get into AZ temps.

Dry heat is alright if you play it right.
You use AC to your advantage.
Misting systems work great when out doors. Shade. You dress lighter with breatable materials. Hats are important.
Window shop at the mall.
Go see a movie at the matinee theater in Scottsdale.
Hit the Salt River or a lake.
Hydrate like a mofo.
Early hours and evening are your friends.

Been hot here too, mid 90's at my elevation, triple digits in the valley. We are fortunate...by 8:30 or so at night it's in the mid 70's, and is in the 50's come first light. Open the windows at night, close early in the morning...house has been getting no warmer than low 70's indoors, downstairs. Upstairs is warmer, but with open windows and a single fan it is very comfortable by bedtime.

What I've already noticed about the extreme heat in Arizona versus Massachusetts is that, in Arizona, if it's 105+ degrees for the day's high temperature, even at night it will usually be too oppressive to go for a climb.

But in Massachusetts, just based off of one day, the high of 92 degrees with 81% average humidity may be oppressive, but by around 4pm, it was in the high-to-mid 80s...and I totally could have tolerated a climb and I would have had 4h 22m before sunset. My camera equipment could have tolerated it as well. Tonight it will be in the 70s.

Just walked to the store about two hours ago and barely broke a sweat before the sun went down. This is obviously my subjective experience.

The takeaway is that, in Arizona, during the hottest parts of the summer, there are zero days where I would be willing or able to climb trees and film it without my cameras shutting down.

In Massachusetts, there appears to be a window, during daylight, where it is tolerable and, apparently, we're in a heat wave, so normally it's not this hot. So that says a lot.

With that in mind, I would say Arizona is worse. But this is my preliminary report. I'll update/revise this finding, or further substantiate it, a month from now.

Right now, my biggest hurdle for content creation is having to take a long trip to the trees. Gotta take the train and the bus. Or maybe just the bus, I hope. Haven't checked yet.

About 30-45 min each way to the wildlife preserve on public transportation. At least Massachusetts has great public transportation...unlike Arizona.

I'm not saying MA weather isn't oppressive right now, but at least there's an afternoon window that I can definitely work with.

Again, all of this is subjective.

Nice and awful out, just the way I hate it!

Screenshot_2024-07-09_10-28-51.png

Haven't been to work yet this week, which is good. Starting a new job next week, which is bad. Gonna be doing ~1.5 miles of hiking trail, and I have to start with LOD. Haven't seen the site yet. I'm hoping the woods isn't too thick. If it is, I guess I'll have a day with the brushcutter and saw to speed things up. It would be much nicer starting in November. The weather's fit for humans, and no leaves.

At 3:00 my outdoor thermometer said it was 96F. The sensor is under the eaves of my garage, so no direct sunlight, and it was overcast most of the day.

Back