What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 481K
Drought here also, but very cool for this time of year. Only had a couple days go over 80° so far.

What's a savanna style Black Locust? Genetic mutation? Even open grown locusts around here don't get that spready.

When I grew up in Jerslev, in the old village school, there was a large Black locust .
When my school teacher parents built a house in Ringsted in -69, they took a root shoot ( American word for that, please, someone!!!)from that with them.
That grew into a nice tree and when I bought the property here, I brought 6 root shoots ( or whatever,( this shit doesn't happen to me often, any more!!)) from that tree with me.
One of them grew into this lovely tree.
So, genetically that tree has been with me all my life.
Does that make me feel old........................yep!!

The "hill" next to it is made from the leftover soil from when I built the stable.
I called it the Margot alp, so my Swiss mail order bride would have something to look at, when she felt homesick for the mountains.

Must have worked, she is still here.

I just realized:
Look at the 2 pictures.
See how much greener it got......................over night!!

When I grew up in Jerslev, in the old village school, there was a large Black locust .
When my school teacher parents built a house in Ringsted in -69, they took a root shoot ( American word for that, please, someone!!!)from that with them.
That grew into a nice tree and when I bought the property here, I brought 6 root shoots ( or whatever,( this shit doesn't happen to me often, any more!!)) from that tree with me.
One of them grew into this lovely tree.
So, genetically that tree has been with me all my life.
Does that make me feel old........................yep!!

The "hill" next to it is made from the leftover soil from when I built the stable.
I called it the Margot alp, so my Swiss mail order bride would have something to look at, when she felt homesick for the mountains.

Must have worked, she is still here.
Sucker, is the layman’s term.

Is suckers grown from roots?
Cause I know that term from sprouts on the stem.

Also, As a certified arborist, I don't need no stinking layman's terms :P

WARNING: The below video is high octane "cringe."

Sorry, I had to drop this video because a) it's relevant to my temperature situation here in Arizona (loosely) and b) this video will probably make you laugh and/or weird you out with how ridiculous it is but c) you will understand the cultural reference at the very least (I hope). And no, I do not listen to music like this. Lord help me. This is what passed for a close-to-chart topping single in 1987. Let's try not to judge; we're smarter now. :lol:

With a name like Buster Poindexter, I'm stunned he didn't make triple platinum *heavy sarcasm* :D

TL;DR - I'm feeling hot, hot, hot...because today it'll be 112 degrees F and I feel like I'm inside of a Weber grill every time I go outside.

Last edited:
65° sounds nice, but 101° sounds like hell. Threatening rain here. Been like this the last two weeks. It goes from sunny, to ZOMG BUILD AN ARK!!1!! rain, back to sunny again all within a half hour. We need the rain, and are still in drought, but it would be nice if it acted normal. Year's been cool so far. Next week is mid-upper 80s. Very late this year.

77 right now with a 70* dew point, it’s a little sticky but the air is breathable. On Wednesday a city 35 miles away ahead the worst air quality in the world. Damn Canadians burning shit :lol:

It's been as pleasant as one could ask for here of late, but in a couple of days we're forecast 90's for a bit. Too warm for my tastes.

It's going to be between 104 and 110 degrees for the next two weeks. At those temperatures, the humidity is quite potent, but nothing like what I used to experience back in Massachusetts. Anyways, there is no precipitation in sight. However, one of my favorite parts about this time of year is that we do get extremely powerful storms that roll in which begin as dust storms that then turn into tropical-storm-intensity blasts of rain, thunder -- and the lightning is out of this world. It's indescribable. One year it took out the power in my apartment complex on a 101 degree night. It took them six hours to get it back on. I was laying in bed, trying to get some sleep for work the next day, sweating through everything. I really look forward to these storms, though. Anytime we get rain, or anything but sunny/clear days, it's magical. You can smell it before it arrives. I love the smell of incoming rain in the desert.

My claims aren't hyperbole. It's how we do thangs in the A to the Z. I'll take some of that crystalline precipitation (snow) over this sh!t any day of the week.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230707-163638.png
    Screenshot_20230707-163638.png
    842.1 KB · Views: 4
Don't get me wrong, I hate cold weather just as much as I hate excessively hot weather. But when it snows, it's magical....even if I have to dig out two garage entries. Bear in mind that I'm originally from MA, so I'm no stranger to true climates. At least when I get hot in the winter time (and I always get hot...if you aren't, you're doing something wrong) because I'm staying active, I can take a layer off and feel refreshed. If I get too hot in the summer time, there's no option to cool myself down except to douse myself in water and since a lot of my fun comes from replicating survival scenarios, that isin't exactly a good idea because I could become hypothermic at night. In fact, most people don't own a pool and usually if you're submerging yourself in water, it's at the end of activity to clean off, so then it has no bearing on your ability to enjoy the activity you were doing prior.

Snow is unique because it not only insulates heat and retards water, but it gives anyone who may be getting their swell on in the snow an opportunity to cool off. But this also means that if you spend the night in an igloo or a snow cave, you have to wake up every few hours to get your blood circulating again. So I guess those are my thoughts on this matter. I'd much rather freeze to death (hypothermia) than die of hyperthermia. At least with freezing to death there is a period of blissful euphoria before you die.

Back