What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 483K
Pretty dramatic. Does the rain cool it off at all, or does it make it feel like Florida?
Yeah, pretty much what @CurSedVoyce said. That's actually pretty spot on. It already getting pretty humid last night. You could smell the rain strongly before it ever showed up. Nowhere else in the world have I been able the smell the oncoming and arriving rains more strongly than Arizona. This is a very real phenomenon that used to allow our ancestors to find water. We humans are not famous for our olfactory prowess, yet we can reportedly detect the signature musk of geosmin (the smell of oncoming rains) in concentrations as low as 100 parts per trillion. To put that in perspective, sharks' famous blood sniffing snouts can only suss out one part per million in seawater.

Screenshot_20230727-140427.png

Had sweat pouring off of me at work. Sometimes made the stakes too wet to write on. Home now. Gonna try shortening some grass. It really needs it, but I'm really unmotivated. I'd like to get a little done, but maybe not all of it.

Nasty conditions for outdoor work.

John, you maybe should consider replacing your grass with some other ground cover, since you dislike it as you do.

You could go all southwestern on it...rocks, gravels, boulders, all in an artful mix. No water required, and no mowing :).
I planted clover this year, but the results were underwhelming. I do have a good feeling about it though. I'm thinking 10# of seed every year for about 5 years will give me a nice thick coat of clover that'll mostly choke out the grass. Grows very slowly, and provides food for a lot of critters. Grass is useless for anything unless you grow it long and cut it for hay or something.

edit:
Oh, and if anyone's interested, the wildflower seeds I planted did nothing. I think that's about seven times I planted "seed". Pretty sure I'm right about them just being packs of sawdust.

This has been one of the worst heat waves in Arizona history. People have been engaging in "car cooking," where they bake food items on the dashboards of their cars. Apparently you can bake a pizza in 2 hours and cookies in 3..5 hours haha Today we're getting polluted air warnings. Thanks, California! We love breathing your smog! (I realize that the pollution isn't all California's fault, but where's the fun in that?) =-D

This has been one of the worst heat waves in Arizona history. People have been engaging in "car cooking," where they bake food items on the dashboards of their cars. Apparently you can bake a pizza in 2 hours and cookies in 3..5 hours haha Today we're getting polluted air warnings. Thanks, California! We love breathing your smog! (I realize that the pollution isn't all California's fault, but where's the fun in that?) =-D
Our smog comes from Mex

Might have a saw get together after Christmas is ya wanna come over…hope to get a chance to hit your mountains more this summer.
That sounds like a good time. I'll have to see what I'm doing at that time, but I'll definitely go hang out if I'm able. Remind me again in around October so I don't forget. I've actually never been to California, so that would be a worthwhile experience.

That sounds like a good time. I'll have to see what I'm doing at that time, but I'll definitely go hang out if I'm able. Remind me again in around October so I don't forget. I've actually never been to California, so that would be a worthwhile experience.
This part of Ca is about the same as that part of AZ 😆. Coast is 2 hr further.

More weirdness. Wind storm in the middle of the night, was out fixing the fence cuz it was slamming around. Trees blowing all over, from the SE which is unusual. Hot and dry. Lighting and thunder no rain. Dead still and filthy air this morning. Trees and branches down here and there.

Back