What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 480K
Indeed. You see famiies trying to come up and play in the snow. Or tourists tryin to get to yosemite. Totally not prepared.
Most think because it has the word "Park" in it, what could could be a problem? Why on earth would they close the roads?

I issue a friendly challenge for someone to come up with a pic of a palm tree with snow on it. That'd be a keeper.

It's been quite a storm. I've been in Ft Bragg since 1971 and this is the 3rd time I recall having snow of any amount. People have no clue how to drive in it and not enough sense NOT to drive in it. Hwy 101 is still a mess with stranded cars, trees falling like crazy and power lines down everywhere. Today there is a break in the weather but another system coming in tomorrow with more snow. Hang on, Stephen, it 's coming your way again!

I issue a friendly challenge for someone to come up with a pic of a palm tree with snow on it. That'd be a keeper.

A Giant Sequoia would be better.
Those are real pretty when snow covered.

We woke up to that, after sleeping in treeboat hammocks in 2011.

Blue skies and snow on the Sequoias.
Messed up our climbing plans some, but sure looked nice.

Plus a black bear in camp as the icing on the cake.

Last edited:
It's been quite a storm. I've been in Ft Bragg since 1971 and this is the 3rd time I recall having snow of any amount. People have no clue how to drive in it and not enough sense NOT to drive in it. Hwy 101 is still a mess with stranded cars, trees falling like crazy and power lines down everywhere. Today there is a break in the weather but another system coming in tomorrow with more snow. Hang on, Stephen, it 's coming your way again!

I remember the " blizzard" of -89, Terri.

We drove from our house in Bayside to Eureka in what to us was a normal winter day and saw more than a hundred stranded cars alongside 101.
That was so strange.

I can’t imagine a foot of snow shutting down an area for days. The worst single snow storm I have seen was 24” in Milwaukee in 2010(maybe) the snow in my alley was four foot deep and took two days before the city could plow out all the side streets. They were using big wheel loaders to clear the alleys.

I saw some snowflakes today! I'd be generous if I said it lasted .5hr. It was nothing :^(

Blizzard of 77. It will be talked about for years to come. Snow didn't fall, it blew in from across Lake Erie and drifted over houses.

The blown snow was so fine you could walk on top of it. You could drive on top of it just long enough to be hopelessly stuck. When they plowed the roads finally they would hit cars that were buried. Back up and go around them.

I can’t imagine a foot of snow shutting down an area for days. The worst single snow storm I have seen was 24” in Milwaukee in 2010(maybe) the snow in my alley was four foot deep and took two days before the city could plow out all the side streets. They were using big wheel loaders to clear the alleys.
You need enough resources to move snow. We do not have it. We cant keep the county roads clear fast enough.
You need enough tow trucks to move stranded cars off the hwy. We dont have a real local tow company in town any more. They come from 1-2 hours out. IF they can get here.
Town shut down as the entire county was with out electricity. Only a few stores remained open. Liquor, hardware, fuel station.
There are tourists driving on the roads looking to get to their vacation rental :lol:
Maybe the road was finally plowed, but not driveways. There is about no one that plows drive ways up here.
I cant even plow my own currently. 4x4 is down. Dingo is down. I did finally get the diesel to the bottom of 600' of driveway with chains on. Barely.
We have over a foot of snow in most places. Drifts at least 3 feet high. Our porch was hip deep. Still snowing.
Trees down everywhere. Went rrom a powdery snow to a wet snow.
We just got our electrcity back on since bout 4am. Cross your fingers.

I was driving to my mom's house in fl a few years ago and had to go thru Nashville after they got around 6". 6" here isn't enough to cancel school (in fact my first day behind the wheel in drivers ed was about that much), but apparently in Nashville it was close to Armageddon. As we drove on overpasses we saw tons of vehicles completely abandoned in the middle of the roads, like they got stuck and completely gave up :lol: We did fine, the interstates were plowed but unsalted, but since they didn't think to push it completely off the road the sun had started melting it and it was freezing as black ice. We were going slower accordingly and got passed by tons of 4x4 trucks and suvs oblivious to this, most didn't get out of sight before losing it in the ditch :lol:

My favorite snow casualty was an Explorer on it's roof in the middle of the road, with no one else involved. I have no idea how they managed that, but I bet it was spectacular and stupid.

We were heading down to Texas right after the Blizzard of 77. I think we were in northern Kentucky. Light fluffy snow on the interstate. I was driving a pickup with a slide in camper on it. I did the cut back and forth test. Not a bit of slip. Could not believe traffic had slowed to about 30. Passed everything. You don't have to get to far south for people to have no idea how to drive in snow.

See that’s another thing people here just don’t abandon cars unless it’s real bad. Usually some kind of wreck on the freeway with no off ramp in sight or stuck in a ditch but never the middle of the road.

Texas is a night mare when it ices and snows. No clue and no resources. Looking at all the vehicles off the road (hwy 40) as I just slowly cruised along. Helped a few motorists get to the next town with a ride though.

Back