What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 478K
While on the left coast they are having winter, on the other coast (at least in my region), winter was a non-event. Somewhere, someone is playing a very cruel joke (especially for those who require snow, a-la those who plow/salt)....

Thankfully, not me.

The many successive storms turned in a nice weather. Some clouds but nearly no wind and almost hot. I got a good sweat today.

And just like that we have a few inches of snow again...hasn't been white here in a couple months...

Rain! I took the day off. It's cool enough for a fire, so that's what I'm gonna do today; hangout in front of the fire with the cats.

Gentle rain with that cold, monotone grey of a dense cloud cover that says it’s going nowhere fast, and somehow reminds me of a time in 1976 driving from Crangerville, ID to Jerry Johnson’s hot spring over by Lolo with my new girlfriend from IU in Moscow (Idaho, not Russia).

Nice weather mostly, but it becomes cold again this week. With the wind, I wasn't happy at all this morning.
The water level slowly decreases in the river, still too hight.

One month till winter and the weather has been really nice and warm.

That ends on Thursday, cold front coming from down south. Snow in some places, rain here. Bermy land probably already got it.

Brought a heap of firewood in this afternoon so I should survive. This will be my second full winter up here and I'm stocked up, bit cooler than the old place.

Raining it's ass off here. Got a new computer for work, and am trying to clone the drive I've been working with to it, but it's not looking good. Clonezilla fell flat with block errors, so I'm currently trying it with dd. Probably wasting my time, and I'll have to do a fresh install :^/

edit:
Surprisingly enough, it appears to be working. Typing this from my new cloned install. I don't feel too good about the errors, but hopefully it wasn't anything important???

Last edited:
The beautiful weather of the last two weeks ended with gusts of wind, rain and even hail.
I 'm cleaning a row of London planes in a new to me castle ground.
They are 15 nice tall trees, in the 100' range. The big horizontal limbs reach as far as 50', one or two maybe 65'. Impressive. I love the beeffy trunks (but still elegant) and the beautiful smooth shape of the main crotches.
But, too bad, they are definitively out of my comfort zone.
My 16.6' telescopic pole, essential to me to place my ropes and secondarily to pull the small dead wood, is just too short in these crowns. So, when the bad weather hit, I found that it should be a good idea to NOT be up there. In the 70' hornbeam grewn just under one (my intended access path for this London plane) I had no problem, but I chickened after setting my first temporary TIP in a small crotch of the London plane. The wind pushing away my pole and my rope, the slipery wet bark and the hornbeams leads slamming against the London plane's limb (take care where you put your fingers !), that was a bit too much for my liking.
See you next week!

Last edited:
Might skip the morning warm up fire today for the first time this season.
Going to once a day.
We did that yesterday, Sean. But had the morning warm-up fire today. Looks like for the next 4 or 5 days we'll be wanting one still. Been mostly just the early fire, no need for an evening one, for a couple of weeks now.

Back to the London planes. Cloudy sky, but at least that's better with a dry bark and a quiet crown. That doesn't make me super confident, but I can climb at my (slow) pace. I spend a lot of time to choose my path:D. 8 done, between 1 to 2 each day, 8 to do. The first of the row is a monster and will take longer. I have some pics but I can't get them out of my tablet.
A wave of thunderstorms is coming. I guess that I'll be in other trees tomorrow.

Been a nice couple of days since the 3+ inches of rain we had. mostly sunny, 60s for highs, good breeze to dry things out.

Back