What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 493K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We have stayed at the Iberostar Bavaro http://www.iberostar.com/EN/Punta-Cana-hotels/Iberostar-Bavaro_3_61.html and loved it. This time we are staying at the Ocean Blue/Sand, it is a new resort only built 2 years ago and it is right beside the Iberostar hotels. The beach at Punta Cana is incredible, way better then Peurta Plata. Here is a link to just about every resort in the DR. It contain peoples reviews and photos. If you go just remember, it ain't the States, it's the DR. Take some of the reviews with a grain of salt.

http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/

This will be our 4th time there in 10 years and each time we have stayed at a different resort. All have been great, we really love the DR. I am counting the sleeps already!

I love the Iberostar in Punta Cana. Punta Cana is one of my favorite places to go - gorgeous beaches and amazing water. Unfortunately there is no good health care so I'm slumming in Mexico in a couple of weeks. :lol:

I had to laugh this morning when I heard the weather. Saturday we will have a cold front push through with a high of 78! :lol:

We got 6 to 8"s in town and I'd say atleast a foot at my place and it's still coming down. I'll try to get some pics later. My daughter at only 2 just hates the snow right now 'daddy I'm stuck'. I can hardly wait until she loves playing in it.8)

Tree Guy is working in the snow right now. Yesterday it was snowing and then turned to slushy rain - today it's just raining and COLD. Poor guy. Production slows right down in this weather.

I do not miss January on the coast, that kind of wet is what heated handles were invented for. I'll take my dry cold over that wet chill to the bone any day.:)

Yah, he's really having a rough time with it. He almost lost his left thumb a few years ago and there is almost no cartiledge left in it so it gets REALLY cold. He had so many surgeries on that hand and wrist (bone grafts, etc) that it's really sensitive to temperature. It looks pretty blue by the end of the day.

Injury cause it or repetitive strain injury? I'm only asking because my hands seem to be getting worse:( espescially my right hand, trigger hand. Heated handles really helped me out in the bush but I've found in residential work they rarely get heated up that well unless you're just bucking up a big trunk section or something.

Thanks MB - I'm going to show those to him.

Squish - It's from an injury. Oct. 30/01 he had a guy working for him up a tree. They had limbed it and were removing it in blocks. The rules were one block at a time cut, pushed down, then Tree Guy collected it and took it to the curb while next block being cut. Climber decided to cut two blocks. Pushed the first one down, Tree Guy went to go get it and the second one came down. Hit his left thumb/hand while holding the first block. 3/4 severed it and completely crushed it. When we went to the hospital I was told that they thought they would have to remove it completely. I did NOT tell him that!

Fortunately a famous local surgeon was in the hospital. Tree Guy's injury got his attention and he figured it would be a challenge to his skills. He saved his thumb, but in the end it took 4 surgeries including rebreaking and resetting it twice, using pins to hold it together and a bone graft from his wrist. It's there but it doesn't function because the cartiledge disintegrated during the healing process. Took him 20 months to go back to work and WCB gave him a pension as he's considered over 10% disabled. Okay, here's the "funny" part. On Oct. 30/03 (2 years to the day) he was clearing a lot. A tree decided it was it's time to go and while his back was to it while bucking fell on him. Smashed his right shoulder. Another 4 months off of work.............

Let's just say he doesn't work on Oct. 30th anymore. :)

I don't blame him, ouch. Sounds like ya got a tough hubby there, good on him for sticking wih it.

Thanks MB, I'm gonna look into those.

Yes. He had the opportunity to be retrained by WCB but he chose not to. He is trying to get the company running so that he doesn't have to work physically every day.

By the way, meant to say thanks on your insight on heated handlebars. We had been looking at those.

Damn, that sounds awful about the hand. Sympathies to ya'll and good luck on the gloves - and heated handles.

Injuries are hard to ignore when Winter reminds us of them.

I got freezer burn. 30degrees plus 20 mph wind, gusts to 35. Had to finish, client leaves for a three month trip to carribean. Good job though.:lol:

I pruned for about 3 hours today in the rain/slush crap. I actually pulled on my super goretex raingear rather than the regular stuff, had to be REALLY careful not to snag or cut it. I stayed dry but it was cool thats for sure.

Paul,

At the Port Coquitlam Costco I saw that they had some of the fleece/microfibre long johns and shirts for about $40 a set. You can buy them as seperates too. They're the type that keep you warm and dry. The fabric pulls away the sweat from your skin. They are great for this kind of weather. Might be good for what you do.

I have four sets! :) got some from Sierra Trading post a few years back, hollowfiber technical stuff, its the key ! stay dry = stay warm (ish) thanks for the heads up!

WINNNDYYY. 20-35mph. Gusts greater(40-50). Tonight even higher! Temp 19deg, tonight. I think I can smell money blowing in the wind!:D

Craig gets on a plane heading for Florida and damn if he isn't bringing the nasty weather with him. 49 and raining right now with a miserably wet high of 61 today. Traffic is stacked up from one end of town to the other. Good day to stay inside with my feet in front of the space heater.

V, is this cold front going to reach you?

Blame Canada eh..............you call that cold? It will make for good fishing weather!

The snow bird is about to fly..............see ya'll!

Blame Canada eh..............you call that cold? It will make for good fishing weather!

The snow bird is about to fly..............see ya'll!

Hey swing through and bring me some Canadian Carnage Weather!!!!!!

Back