Whats blooming?

My snowdrops have been up for awhile. Daffodils are popping up, but not big enough for flowers yet. The Siberian squill I planted last year is AWOL. I might have one clump coming up, but I'm not sure. Kinda forgot where I put everything.

Crocus, daffodills and even the violets are blooming. For the trees, my cherries are still sleeping (actually preparing) but all the other Prunus are at it.

Yes, the fruiting ones are a bit of a disappointment visually, this one, and the four in the back garden (usually 3 weeks later) are just for show, hell of a show though.

Mick, that is so pretty!

Quite a few of our orchids are blooming. So weird here though, the leaves on some of our trees fall this time of year instead of “fall”. The Gumbo Limbo‘s in our yard are making a leafy mess!

Looks like my Siberian squill made it...

IMG_20210327_170316.jpg

Pretty subtle, and not much to look at atm, but it should spread over time. Daffy Dils are pretty much fully out. This particular group is fairly ancient. They predate the subdivision, and used to be next to the drive that's no longer here. The youngest they could be is 55yr, but probably a good bit older than that. Took about 30yr for them to find sunlight again :^O I like that they come up in the middle of nowhere. I prefer that to "gardens" I planted another clump in the middle of the yard. Got them from the same place as the snowdrops and squill. Noticed there was crocus there also. Back was sore so I didn't dig them. Might look for them in the coming week.

IMG_20210327_170338.jpg

Finally, my dawn redwoods are budding. You can see the done snowdrops in the background...

IMG_20210327_170417.jpg

Star of Bethlehem is starting to come up, but it'll be awhile before it flowers. That's an invasive, but I like seeing the little flowers. Better than grass for sure.

It's some kind of weed. That's in the back 40(inches :^P) of my property. I keep all that fairly rugged. The back neighbors let that part of their property grow up. It's basically like a woods edge for ~30'. Suits me aside from the vines. They use the little stuff as a scaffold off-property, then end up in my stuff.

I hit it once or twice a year with the brushcutter. Get rid of the trash, and see if anything interesting popped up. No stupid grass to shorten, so that's wonderful. All kinds of crap grows back there, including a good assortment of trees. There's a little beech I'd like to have, but it's too close to my redwood. Thinking about transplanting it somewhere else, but they grow so slow, I'm not sure it's worth the effort. I'll probably let it grow til it starts interfering, then cut it down. A bit of free firewood, for choosing to do nothing.

Here's my 99% dead weeping cherry. It'll stay as long as it gets green in the spring...

IMG_20210406_143501.jpg

Closer up of the trunk...

IMG_20210406_143607.jpg

Here's the weeping cherry by the road...

IMG_20210406_143515.jpg

Birds planted that one. Not the best angle. It's especially dramatic when you're driving up the road. Line guys keep friggin' with it, as well as the ugly ass hemlock you can kinda see to the right.

edit:
That mahogany leafed tiswood I planted over the winter apparently blooms. Just walked outside and saw it. The one I put in at the office hasn't bloomed yet.

20210406_155206.jpg

Last edited:
Fleabane...

20210522_165609.jpg

I left the sawdust after cutting up the oak, and it killed the grass plants. Been letting it grow up so it goes to seed. I like having them there. I usually mow around the wildflowers that come up, but never left them this long. I think I'll do it every year, regardless of plant condition. I have small clumps of fleabane out front I've left for now, and the Queen Anne's Lace is starting to come up. It'll be awhile before that blooms though

Back