What Did Ya'll Have For Dinner Tonight?

It's just a recipe I found on YouTube that had rice and lentils plus a few other things I had in the kitchen that I could throw in the InstantPot. Ten minutes prep, if that, plus 45 minutes cooking, pressure release.

I made some more of the lentils and rice*, a little different spice combination this time. I tossed some in a tortilla with some greens and toasted it in the reversed waffle squeezer. Very happy with the result, and I think it's going to be a good base for lunch options.

*Still not Indian.

20220822_131127.jpg

Did you at least toast your spices first? Not fry in oil but a hot dry pan. That’s the secret. That way it can remotely identify as Indian.

Out in Cincinnati with a cousin, and he took me to Skyline Chili. Greek style chili with an interesting twist (served over spaghetti). I had the 5-Way version, spaghetti, a beef based chili, habanero cheddar cheese, beans & onions. Ridiculously good! 👍👍👍

There’s a place in Milwaukee called Real Chili that is Cincinnati chili, it is very much a food institution in Milwaukee and a right of passage. Pun intended.

Went to this wonderful creamery (Graeter's) for dessert. Some of the most decadent ice cream I've ever had. Tonight's was a mix of Peanut Butter Chip and Brown Butter Bourbon Pecan. Mmmmm!!! IMG_20220822_204119402.jpg IMG_20220821_195854914.jpg

Artichokes from the garden.

It used to be near impossible to grow them here unless in a greenhouse or orangerie, because they would freeze to death come winter.
Now, with winter a thing of the past, we figured to give it a try out in the open..

Very, very good.

Last edited:

There's probably other crabs that will get you close enough if you prepare them in the same style.

Real Maryland Crab Cakes

If the Maryland Flag weren’t so cool, we’d probably fly a picture of a crab cake over the statehouse. Once you’ve had your first real one made with handpicked Maryland jumbo lump crab, you’ll know why.

Total time: 15 minutes
Serves: 6 cakes

Ingredients:
☐ 1 pound jumbo lump, handpicked Maryland crabmeat
☐ ½ cup breadcrumbs
☐ 1 egg, beaten
☐ 5 tbsp mayonnaise
☐ 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
☐ 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
☐ 1 tsp prepared mustard
☐ 1 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning or J.O. Crab Seasoning

Step 1: Combine breadcrumbs, egg, mayonnaise, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and crab seasoning and mix well.

Step 2: Pour mixture over crabmeat and fold in taking care not to break up the lumps.

Step 3: Form into six cakes and pat until just firm, then deep fry in 350°F corn oil 2-3 minutes until golden brown.

There's probably other crabs that will get you close enough if you prepare them in the same style.

Real Maryland Crab Cakes

If the Maryland Flag weren’t so cool, we’d probably fly a picture of a crab cake over the statehouse. Once you’ve had your first real one made with handpicked Maryland jumbo lump crab, you’ll know why.

Total time: 15 minutes
Serves: 6 cakes

Ingredients:
☐ 1 pound jumbo lump, handpicked Maryland crabmeat
☐ ½ cup breadcrumbs
☐ 1 egg, beaten
☐ 5 tbsp mayonnaise
☐ 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
☐ 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
☐ 1 tsp prepared mustard
☐ 1 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning or J.O. Crab Seasoning

Step 1: Combine breadcrumbs, egg, mayonnaise, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and crab seasoning and mix well.

Step 2: Pour mixture over crabmeat and fold in taking care not to break up the lumps.

Step 3: Form into six cakes and pat until just firm, then deep fry in 350°F corn oil 2-3 minutes until golden brown.

As far as I understand, this is the oldest dish of the national cuisine of the USA.