What Do You Field Guys Do For Lunch?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Breakfast for me is usually either a microwave breakfast sandwich, or four sausage links; 2 meatless sausage, and two mystery meat sausage. In cold weather, if I wake up early and feel like it, I'll make some steelcut oats with butter and salt. That canned brown bread I mentioned in post 1 is usually breakfast #2 I eat on the way to the first job.

dont diabetics usually need to stay away from sugar? thats a super sugary meal.

What diabetics need to watch is their carb intake, of which sugar is one. Being I'm on a pump and finger prick my blood sugar multiple times a day, I've got that under control. Also, need the carbs for energy to keep my ass moving around the trees I climb and bucking/ground work I do once out.

The stress (which my monkeys provide plenty of), is actually worse and raises my blood sugar way more than I can account for at times. One of those perks for owning my own biz......

i know i crash from sugar drinks and candy bars. i try to avoid them. fruit is sweet too but I eat a lot of it.

I think I am simply against such a tricky politically insipid generated term as : “field guys”.

That term just rubs me the wrong way.

In one of Jerry’s book’s, a girl describes the first lunch she packed for her logger boyfriend. A true city girl she was, she threw a 20$ bill in his lunch box and off he went. Imagine the look on his face when he opened it, because he was, like Burn said, hours away from any hope of buying food. I hope his buddies shared that day.😳

Standard lunch is a sandwich. Generally made from left over roasts.

Little sandwich bag of chips. Little container of baked beans.

Some nuts.

Small can of corn nibblets if I can find em.

I like a cup of yogurt too. Cherry.

Apple or banana. Sometimes grapes.

Couple oreos.

Little thermos of coffee. Bunch of water in a couple insulated jugs.

Extra water in pickup.

Always try to save the treats in case the kids show up.

Stopping for lunch is important in my opinion.

Gives an opportunity to check stuff out, refocus, refuel and regroup.

Talk about safety.

I'd rather be a field hand than a shop rat or an office puke.
In the building trades field guys and gals make more money than shop workers or office manager types if you belong to a union.
Don't like unions huh? Get use to the term field hand being a disparagetive term. In my dad's words... "The employer's only true respect for the worker is shown through fair and equitable remuneration. What does 1000 attaboys get you? Nothing you can feed a family with! "

As for what I eat for lunch. My crummy is a diesel and has 2 1000 CCA batteries and a 2000 watt inverter that I installed to power my 600 watt microwave. I eat leftovers warmed in Pyrex bowls because the first 26yrs of my life I had maybe 5 fresh cooked lunches.

:^D That's pretty luxurious! You should get one of those massage seat covers with heat for the full lunchtime experience.

We eat a very large breakfast at dark thirty and then an equally large meal when we get home, whenever that is.

The human metabolism is extremely versatile and will work with what it has to. It can adapt and become efficient to many different routines. That is what has allowed our species to survive in hostile conditions. I have gone days with nothing but water while maintaining a modestly high level of activity without a noticeable decline in output.

Once a month or so I do a 3 day water/ coffee fast. Lots of water and black coffee and a daily multivitamin. That’s it.
Little cranky phase 12-18 hours in, then it feels awesome. Tons of energy and surprisingly good mood. Your mileage may vary.

That is cool. Longest I've gone on only water was 30 hrs, I'd like to try longer

I went without eating for three days once, just to see if I could. I didn't notice much one way or the other aside from not being as hungry as I expected to be. I didn't feel any better or worse than usual. It isn't something I felt the need to replicate, but it's supposed to be good for you. Kinda makes sense from an evolutionary perspective. It's only in recent times westerners have had food available at beck and call.

Well, Burnham I suppose that we would work well together. I believe that like a quote missatributed to Napoleon, "An army travels on its belly." I have found that I could barely take a road trip with my Italian wife and 2 active sons without a full cooler and a chuck box.
If anyone cares to build a chuck box I can share a set of plans.

I'm with Frans...you "field guys" sure do operate in a different universe than I did, as a USFS "field guy".

Just to make it clear...my normal ops arena would be somewhere between 1 and 2 hours from any business, period, let alone one that offered food service :D.

P B and J sandwich, some fresh fruit (orange, banana, apple), a small thermos of coffee, two quarts of water. On some rather few days, the sandwich might be replaced by a container of whatever leftover last night's dinner might be.
This is about 1/3 of my ration.

Been in a hot weather schedule of PBJ, two triple Deckers. Protein bars, bananas or apple. Liter or more of coffee, after morning cups.

Sometimes, I have posted jittery nonsense when over caffeinated, under fed, and in a rush.

Back