What Do You Field Guys Do For Lunch?

Depending what part of the hillls we are working dictates where i stop to pick up food for the day and i offer it up to the lads if they wish. Small tourist town hit with Covid and Fire closures. I spend my money on businesses here to make me sammiches and coffee. Pick up my picnic inthe morning and head out.

Last edited:
Must be wonderful for one to work where there are such businesses :).

I rather like being able to cast such unfair aspersions on my friends here...you bunch of limp-wristed panty-waists.
:D

Only if the businesses are there to go around with...that was my sole point.

Where I worked most of my 30some years, it was not...so I get to look down my snootily raised nose at you softies who have the opportunity to pay someone else to make food for you...not to say I'd not have taken advantage of such from time to time if it had been available...
:D.

I save my cooking skills and sammich making for my family. More rewarding. I grew tired of making stuff for myself as long as i have. During the beginning of the shut downs, i resumed my box lunches. I was so greatful when the little places started opening back up. Grab and go is me bring taken care of for a change, instead of a career cooking for others.
I get ya B. Sometimes even i get remote enough by early start in the morning or going the wrong direction, i just pack and go. Logging camp was the best treat. Bring the kitchen with us and have some amazing meals.

Every day pretty much the same: Clif Bar, apple, 20oz Gatorade and a 16oz bottle of water from the cooler (always gotta be cold). Being a friggin' type 1 diabetic means I need to take a break and eat/rest midway through each day (plus it allows me to zing the brush monkeys as their lazy asses cry about stuff being "so hard".....) :P

Leftovers are good, cold curry, pasta, sausages...whatever was for dinner the night before...a thermos of tea and plenty of water, nuts and some kind of chocolate.
I'm like Stephen though, been supporting local business esp. during the Covid slowdown when visitors were few and far between and they were doing takeaway only, alternate between our two bakeries in the village...I still had work...share the love.

Leftover people with their stinky food get short shrift from me, their food (and sometimes them) has to travel in the bed of the chip truck.

Slap some cheese or ham or both in a couple of pieces of bread, plus a bag of crisps (chips) if it’s a Friday if you want to treat yourself.

Lunch should be conducted in grim silence, chewing silently till someone breaks it by saying something like ‘I’ll tell you what pisses me off about my wife...’ this starts 12 minutes of debate, till work recommences.

You folks mentioning a bottle or two of water are killing me. When it’s hot, I drink at least a gallon of water a day. Often two gallons.

we make peanut butter jelly sanwiches by the bag full and put em in the freezer. pesto salami sandwich in the freezer. is good. make a bunch of quesadillas. put them on the dash board to thaw out. or i like them even frozen in the summer.
lots of bananas and apples
ry-vita crackers or keneke crackers and herring or sardines are good too.

i got an insulated yeti jug which stays cool all day and warm in the winter when i put tea in it.

i don't know how you foodless guys manage. i can't keep weight on me and i eat three times a day. i hate eating out what an enormous waste n of time and money. grub hub for the crew on a big job is nice . one of my guys doesnt bring food a lot and he always looks miserable Round 2 o'clock.

Every day pretty much the same: Clif Bar, apple, 20oz Gatorade and a 16oz bottle of water from the cooler (always gotta be cold). Being a friggin' type 1 diabetic means I need to take a break and eat/rest midway through each day (plus it allows me to zing the brush monkeys as their lazy asses cry about stuff being "so hard".....) :P
dont diabetics usually need to stay away from sugar? thats a super sugary meal.

I eat a staple of nuts, raisins, home made oat biscuits and loads of fruit. I sometimes have a salad, tin of mackerel, sometimes leftovers, but I am not a fan of bread or pasta - too full and never want to work after eating it

No breakfast for me ever before work, and I usually eat after work 4-6pm though maybe a banana or apple if I'm driving between jobs.

Fwiw, you sardine folks, they apparently contain a lot of arsenic. Joe Rogan used to pound sardines till his Dr told him after some blood tests that he had high levels of arsenic which was attributed to sardine consumption.

@ruel
Jo's awesome biscuits

6 oz of porridge oats
6 oz self raising flour
6 oz butter
3 oz demarara sugar
2 table spoons milk
2 table spoons of golden syrup
Raisins and nuts as you want - walnuts and almonds work well

All dry ingredients mixed in a bowl
Melt butter, golden syrup and milk on low heat, stirring well until heated through
Pour over dry ingredients and mix well
Form into balls about the size of squash ball
Bake in preheated oven at 180 (fan 160) for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown

Mmmmmmmm there nice. The original recipe was for 6 oz sugar, but that was too sweet for me & we added raisins too. Before anyone asks, yes I am spoilt :)

I eat an omelet almost every morning for breakfast...2 eggs, sausage and red pepper flakes...and a piece of toast. Frequently skip lunch if I’ll be finishing up by 2:00-ish. Had a brother-in-law who used to eat sardines and crackers. I always wished I liked them but it looked too much like eating shad out of the bait bucket. 🤢

Back