What Did Ya'll Have For Dinner Tonight?

Went to the Indian place with my mother. Got vegetable jalfrezi as usual. Good but they never make it hot enough anymore. They give you a heat scale choice of 1-10, and I order 20. In any sane world, what I got shouldn't have been more than an 8. It was still good though.

That's what I try to do, but it doesn't work anymore. I used to be able to dial it in pretty precisely. Before everything went all wrong, I think I settled on a 13 as being good. I could go up and down the numbers, and the chef would nail it. Now I just ask for a 20, and I expect nothing like a 20. It's a shorthand for 'think of the hottest food a typical American would want, then double it' I think the old chef is long gone. It also isn't as Indian as it used to be. They now have Thai fusion and Chinese fusion, and a lot of the servers are some other kind of Asian. It's still good, but isn't magic like it used to be.

That's what I try to do, but it doesn't work anymore. I used to be able to dial it in pretty precisely. Before everything went all wrong, I think I settled on a 13 as being good. I could go up and down the numbers, and the chef would nail it. Now I just ask for a 20, and I expect nothing like a 20. It's a shorthand for 'think of the hottest food a typical American would want, then double it' I think the old chef is long gone. It also isn't as Indian as it used to be. They now have Thai fusion and Chinese fusion, and a lot of the servers are some other kind of Asian. It's still good, but isn't magic like it used to be.

I knew a heroin addict that would complain that they just didn't make heroin like they used to. He would have to shoot more every year to get the same effect.

I am sure your case is nothing like that.

It's exactly like that, but the spice baseline in America is so low it doesn't exist. Americans have the food sensibilities of two year olds. Sugar and grease are the primary food groups, and it's only been changing very recently. The day a bottle of Tabasco is on every table, and you have to specifically ask for ketchup(for the kids of course), you'll know we've grown up.

I'll agree Tabasco isn't necessarily the best, but it's a good baseline, and it's the premier Louisiana hot sauce. It's stout enough to hold onto food without spilling off if you're careful, but thin enough it'll soak into stuff like fries. It adds heat, without being overbearing for the sensitive(that don't live in Wisconsin). Every other Louisiana sauce is a pretender.

El Yucateco is fantastic. It's one of my favorites, but isn't as widely applicable as Tabasco. A good generic sauce for burgers is Valentina. It's thick, not all that hot, and you can get it for ~$2/L at walmart. The thick and fruity habanero sauces from Costa Rica are really good too. Those are my favorite for cheese and crackers.

I like Crystal better than Tabasco.

I actually cant think of many hot sauces that I prefer on three or more foods.

Each sauce has its perfect pairing....and a runner up.

Americans may not have a spicy palate, but if you have a Walmart and an Amazon account....you can get any manner of sauce you like. Tomorrow.

That is something I miss here.
The incredible amount of different hot sauces.
If I want good hot sauce , I have to make it myself.

Which I do.

All the hot sauce talk got me in the mood. Made some bean burritos for lunch. They were pretty sparse, but good, and I wanted to get rid of my tortillas anyway. It was just a can of black beans with some chopped garlic added, and nuked in the microwave. Put it on the tortilla, add shredded sharp cheddar, and some onion. I'd really have liked cilantro, and maybe some Rotel, but it was fine. It was really just a carrier for hot sauce. I used Wegmans brand habanero on three of them, and 3x El Yucateco on the last.