What Did Ya'll Have For Dinner Tonight?

I'd love to be able to stomach fruits or vegetables; it would open up a whole world of foods I don't experience...just never could handle them.
I have a terrible gag reflex that nixes eating most of that stuff...don't always have to be eating it either...I cannot clean a pumpkin without it kicking in :dontknow: :|:

Seems ridiculous, but it is what it is...

Last edited:
Your salad looks fine for a starting place, Jim. Looks like a green leaf lettuce, croutons, and maybe a dressing of ranch or blue cheese. All good, from my perspective.

If you want to expand your repertoire a bit, you could try romaine lettuce instead...ime it lasts better over time in the fridge than other leaf lettuces. Flavor might be a bit more interesting, but not by much in all honesty. Green or red leaf lettuces are generally quite good.

Then think about some crunchiness...add a coarse chopped cuke or zucchini. The cuke doesn't keep as well as the zucchini, generally. Another one...here, we can get sweet red bell peppers all year from hydroponic farms in British Columbia or outdoor farms in Mexico, and they are wonderful in many dishes, salad being a standard regular for us. Core and de-seed, chop to 3/4 inch bits.

Mushrooms...fresh crimini (the brown ones:)) are our favorites, sliced 1/4 inch thick, add great flavor. The standard white ones are no slouch, either. Buy them with tight gills for best storage in the fridge, if they have flared gills then they'll have much shorter shelf life.

We like the little grape or cherry tomatoes much better than most grocery store slicers. They add great flavor.

And if you are not getting avocados, when you can, for adding to your salads, you might try that for the final fine touch. We almost always buy them green, but they ripen well on the kitchen counter. Don't let them get very soft...just a light give when squeezed is time to either use or refrigerate. They keep very well that way if you are on top of getting them in at the right point of ripening.

Of course, one need not do all this at once...might try one or two additions, experiment with what your family takes to.

Last edited:
Since I'm one handed ( Again) the mail order bride cooked, which is a rare treat.
A Swiss version of potatoes dauphine with mushrooms added and a salad of baked, grated red beets with a vinagrette dressing and red onions and garlic.
I always enjoy eating something I haven't cooked myself.

Fondue rates higher with me.

How long are you letting it sit in the oven for?

Instead of parboiling, try steaming them.
The Swiss don't boil potatoes for Rösti, they steam them.
Makes them way easier to grate.

Rösti:

Steam the unpeeled potatoes the day before, then let them sit over night. Do NOT put them in the refrigerator.
Peel and grate them.
Slice some onions finely and then chop the slices up.
Melt some butter ( Using anything but butter for Rösti will cause you to lose your Swiss citizenship, I think) and brown it slightly.
Fry the onions and when they are transparent, mix in the potatoes, adding some salt and pepper to the mixture.
Form it to a patty that fills the pan, put a lid on and fry it at low heat till the underside is nicely brown.
Then take the lid off and either fry it a bit longer or flip the whole thing over and fry the other side.
My wife doesn't flip it, so consequently, neither do I.
Not done that way around Solothurn, I guess.
Easiest way to flip it is to slide it off on a large plate, hold the frying pan on top of that and flip the whole thing.

That is how I learned to make it from a Swiss girl 44 years ago. The girl who became the mail order bride 40 years later :) .

Let me know how it works out.

Chili rellenos, with another killer salad on the side.

Here you go, Stig...just to make you envious. LARGE and beautiful Haas avocados for 68 cents each :). We're having one or two a day, between tortillas or crackers and cheese for lunch, and the dinner salad.

Um, and also...not sure you can make a decent chili rellenos without eggs. Too bad :evil:.

Pork loin chops grilled with a garlic rub. Rice pilaf and baby peas. Made a salmon fillet with garlic and lemon pepper on the grill for Katy. Her tummy no like pork.