West coast three tuck logger's eye splice

Thats very cool. I'd love to have a play with something like that. Reckon it would be great fun.
I've only every spliced rope which obviously sits flatter. It looks a bit strange when he shows it at the end, like its sitting too far apart. I'm sure its plenty strong enough though. I'm sure the video @gf beranek made didn't look like that but maybe it was a different splice. Hopefully he can comment.

Looks like he needed a smaller/ sharper marlinspike, and i thought you were supposed to melt the ends so they don't unravel? Aka cut with a torch.

Doing one is all fun and games, but it would suck going into work and hearing "We need 20 eye splices by the end of the day" D^:

This fine fellow told me he did 18 logger's splices in 1 day. Then took a breath and said, "The next day I couldn't do 1." The logger's splice starts at 2:58.

<iframe width="913" height="685" src="Wire Rope Splice - YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/embed/jBlvFRDHdgM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yea, that's a tough way to make a living. Are you familiar with using those Gerry? Seems like the stubs left on the edge could be a hassle to work around.

Like a porcupine. Worse even.

The loggers eye is used for winch lines on Cats and skidders. The eye is pulled through the fairlead of those big winches thousands of times. And from the first few cycles the pressure of running over those rollers separates all the strands and splays them out over the splice. Kind of like chaffing gear. The ends of some strands are flattened out like razors and the others sharp as needles.

They're called JAGGERS', and they'll bite you bad until you learn to avoid them.

Im bet those cables are crazy durable, but No thank you! Is the tucked splice way stronger, why not do the wrap and swaged splice?

Not way stronger, but doable in the field without a press to set the swag. It often is a hella long way to the rigging shop from a logging site hereabouts :).

Especially now that rigging shops, like real saw shops (usually the same establishments, back in my day) are rarer than hen's teeth.

A swage press isn't in the woods or jobsite, and it makes a hard spot that is prone to wire fatigue when they are abused, and can snag on stuff. Being able to just splice up new things is super handy and cheaper too if done when needed. The swage is actually stronger (100 percent strength), and is the only thing to use where the load can twist (undoes the splice), but flexibility is a thing too. Certain types of hand splices (the liverpool i think is one) are actually 100 percent strength too, but can come undone with load twisting. They still have their place, even in industrial rigging, but it's usually for specialty stuff in that world. Ironworkers for example will still use hand spliced ones for choking beams, because the swage will often make it slip or bend poorly.

We did all the splicing on the job. In the landing if possible but sometimes on a steep hillside. 3 tuck, long splice, short splice, farmers eyes etc. No torches, either a hydraulic jack cutter like in the picture or an axe and hammer. I enjoyed splicing cable in a team setting, the rhythm, joking, change of pace and all was enjoyable. But I'd be hard pressed to remember the order of things now.

Attachments

• 20200724_072912.jpg
    11.3 MB · Views: 15
I learned to splice Wire Rope at trade School.

The teacher said" your never going to forget how to do the,but your going to wish you had never learned".

When you find yourself battling with an eye splice in a inch and a quarter swaged Skyline in the middle of a New Zealand summer...

This is me splicing the mainrope in the mud.Much less miserable than a skyline eye. 20200808_095938.jpg

The second picture shows the backline tractor with the skyline eye that would pop a strand now and again.

The soil was volcanic pummic and the tractor would sometimes shift,hence why the tailrope block is in the dirt.We would tie the tractor back with the winch where we could but to do that you needed a stump. 20200808_095947.jpg

I found this Rodeo entry ticket amongst the photo 's.

Back in the day you just turned up in a long sleeved shirt and borrowed a cowboy hat.Paid 30 bucks and rode a Bull.

Then then Lawyers and pussies took over..

Attachments

• 20200808_095359.jpg
    20200808_095359.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
Back