Wedge Injury

Me too - I really like my K&H at the moment - I am felling a lot of smaller trees and often hit the wedge so it being quite soft is a bonus

Last edited:
The rifling gets mashed up very easily and even when they are new they barely fit within the saw kerf. God forbid if you try to mix one with a standard wedge...

I'm sure if they were "good" the other wedge manufacturers would have copied them in some fashion.

Maybe a wavy surface longitudinally would be sturdier, even with only one wedge alone or mixed with standards. That should gives a loose fit when they are mashed up, but still allows a good guidance under load.

I have a pair of Mr. Montgomerys’ wedges and they are a fantastic addition to any fallers trickbag! In a situation where 2 wedges are needed this product is FAR superior to trying to “stack” single wedges on top of each other and much safer to boot

The rifling gets mashed up very easily and even when they are new they barely fit within the saw kerf. God forbid if you try to mix one with a standard wedge...

I'm sure if they were "good" the other wedge manufacturers would have copied them in some fashion.
They do work well is small hardwood trees where you need to set a wedge parallel to the hinge. But other than that they are wedge shaped. I have one that has cracked at the rifle. I've been rocking hardheads the past year and I'm not going back.

I’ve got a 3 yr old pair of hardheads still kicking. Tips have been tickled by the saw a few times but damn tough wedges and no breaking in freezing temps. Out of my pile in the truck, I grab those or barbed Wells most often. K+H are superior quality to Wells but spit out more often, Hardheads are maul-able.

Lol, I love your John Ciro stories. Bizarre that I never met the man yet I feel like I knew him. In a nutshell, fair to say he was a bit of a mad man, swore more and better than any 10 sailors, and knew how to get sh*t done??

@Tim_B. , where ya been tim?

Hello, @cory! Thanks for asking. A combination of factors were keeping me away from the forums.

I had a very old handheld computer that I used to use as my primary means of accessing the forums. It was more portable, convenient and faster to turn on than a laptop, allowing me to read and contribute while out getting a meal, for instance. Over time, the software of the internet changed, eventually making it impossible for me to access the forums on that device. I did not often want to take the time to sit in one place using my laptop, so my participation dropped off. Just recently a couple of different people I know each gave me a different phone they were no longer using due to the fact that they had upgraded their phone to newer technology. Their old phones were much newer and more powerful than my much older device, and they are both capable of being used in a stand alone fashion, without having to activate them on a mobile phone network. So I’ve been familiarizing myself with both devices of late. Both are compatible with the recently changed web site software, so now I again have access like I used to.

The other thing keeping me away is the fact that I have a family member who has been health compromised, and it has been taking most of my time trying to assist them in any way that I’m able. As a side effect of that, my opportunities to climb have been greatly reduced. Being actively involved in something causes one to need to seek answers to questions about it. Not climbing as often reduced my need for those answers, so that also played a part in my absence.

Sorry to be so long winded, but that is the basic explanation for my too-long lack of participation in the tree forums. Thanks again for asking, Cory. Stay well. Tim.

Very sorry for Mike this shows even doing a simple item like pounding in a wedge, it's still dangerous when felling a tree.

Seems if something that you have done many time without anything going wrong, and all of a sudden something you have never seen before happens.

Anyone who thinks felling a tree or just trimming one is simple, does not understand how things can happen quickly and someone gets hurt or killed.

@Tim_B. , good to read you again, good update. Best of luck with your family member. Now that you have good access to the House again, who knows, you may find info or ideas on here that can help with a situation. As you probably know, it's a wide ranging group of members and ideas here.

Saw a video of plastic wedges being dressed by a type of file similar to horse hoof files . It has a flat surface and curved cutting teeth that run the width of it. Produced very good results re-contouring the leading edge when it has met a saw chain in the cut and mushroomed pounding surfaces.

Good to read you again Tim.

Saw a video of plastic wedges being dressed by a type of file similar to horse hoof files . It has a flat surface and curved cutting teeth that run the width of it. Produced very good results re-contouring the leading edge when it has met a saw chain in the cut and mushroomed pounding surfaces.

Good to read you again Tim.
I uses a farrier's file they work great! Messy as hell, have a shop vac handy. The little plastic bits static cling to everything. Also have a file card or wire brush to unclog the file.

Back