Tree felling vids

A help, but would you tie a rope that low, and pull? Same thing, except you can be far away with a rope, not having an operator and expensive machine beneath.

We pushed one big spruce for some reason at Parks. Probably too little time to do it right. Not enough power to push it over easily, so had to cut the hinge thinner, with the machine lifting off the ground, sliding up the tree. Not my idea, at all.

Works for some jobs. Maybe better to stand on the grapple an hang the cable 6' higher, and pull. More work on the ground, though.

No it creates a lip of wood that pretty much won't be pushed straight forward so long a you make sure to offset the cuts enough.

When talking about pushing with a skidder, we have to remember that not all skidders are one in the same. You'll have a big difference in capability with a dual arch JD 748 then you will with a little 240 Timberjack with a cable arch only.

Fully agree on different capabilities.

Chris, I understand the idea of the low back cut, but still suspect that it is reduction, not prevention. Do tell me if I'm wrong (as always). I'm no logger/ pull tree (push tree) pro, by a long-shot.

That 648 is a bad machine! I think the thing that stood out to me in that video is how fast he pushed. If anything was going to make that tree come off the stump I'd say that was most likely. I bet that top was going 50mph, slower push would soften the inertia.

Fully agree on different capabilities.

Chris, I understand the idea of the low back cut, but still suspect that it is reduction, not prevention. Do tell me if I'm wrong (as always). I'm no logger/ pull tree (push tree) pro, by a long-shot.

It could happen in theory. You need enough power to split the stump like a piece of firewood just by pushing on a lip on the top. It surely could happen. But you'd need some insane power.

Butch: I've seen guys do that, because they feel like they want a really "straight" line of pull. Kinda dumb imho. Plus, nothin's ever gonna be straight enough if you cut your far corner off like that kid obviously did. Hard knocks. My least favorite school, but the one that's given me most of my education. :( :|:

That was scary close. He's a lucky fool, that one.

After looking closer at that near 'decapitation' scary as video, hitting play/pause repeatedly, it revealed a total absence of stump shot. At first I thought the top or a limb on it caught something to make the butt kick back like it did. But it was the total lack of stump shot and practically severing thru the hinge that caused the physics to follow its natural course. Man!

I hope the fellow realizes what he did so he doesn't repeat the same mistake in the future. Wow.

looked to me that it tipped sideways, and the trunk hit a utility pole. cut thru the hinge or too much sidelean ripped it.

looked overly complicated in the pull department.
A simple picket anchor or two would have been a lot more static for an anchor point, anywhere in the lawn that you want to put it. Easy to extract, too. Webbing isn't bent too bad over a rounded 90 degree angle, as in a sling on a t-post, in my estimations. So easy. Slip a cone over the stake so it remains visible, and less of a danger to ground workers. Short a cone...use a saw cover.

image310.jpg

Pickets can be made from branches onsite, too.

This complicated picket, reinforcing picket is done with cordage between the top of the first stake and the ground-level point on the next. A small stake is twisted in the cordage, then driven into the ground. Somewhat like barbed wire/ smooth wire fencing corners are done...tension by twisting with a lever, then pinning the lever.

Well, it worked in the vid at least. The guy strikes me actually as very skilled, he's just a bit rough and has a happy go lucky attitude which might make him seem unskilled or not serious about his work. I watched a couple of his vids. He can tear down equipment and rebuild it like nothing, basically. Good ol boy

Back