Tree felling vids

Jerry, that truck was spinning it's tires in the grass before it went sideways. I'd guess dutch cuts and skinny/no hinge

Yeah, I thought I saw that too Willie. Man, that rope was really low. I would kill to see an image of that stump.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Tn6bltzsLQU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Would be nice to be there in person to see the lean that tree was fighting to get to the lay, usually impossible to judge on vid. But those good ol boys look like they know a thing or two bout cutting trees. Wonder why they didn't push it to the lay with the machine, just to see if that crazy hinge would work?

He did cover some key points though. I never cared much for the method myself, but in the woods you can get away with the consequences easier than you can in the private sector.

Which method, the pushing skidder or the twin hinge?

I've pushed many trees with a 648 gIII. The rounded end of the log arch makes it dicey. It will push them though. Back lean and all. The hoses and plumbing are buried inside the arch (good design by Deere) so you don't rip hoses if you slip off the tree. That's no why they did it, but it sure helps.

All of the above, Cory.

Gerr, what's wrong with pushing trees with a skidder arch, especially if the end of the arch has teeth to it? And you've seen that weird crazy hinging method before? That was a new one to me.

Gerr, what's wrong with pushing trees with a skidder arch, especially if the end of the arch has teeth to it? And you've seen that weird crazy hinging method before? That was a new one to me.

You are pushing too low on the tree.
On big, tall trees you'll have a good chance of pushing it off the stump, rather than over.
We push a lot of smaller trees with a forwarder, that can reach a lot higher.

You are pushing too low on the tree.
On big, tall trees you'll have a good chance of pushing it off the stump, rather than over.

You could always put the back cut a little below the face cut to prevent that, as Gerr points out in FGTW

Back