Tree felling vids

I myself tend to clean off the limbs and wood below me before dumping tops. But that's just me and not necessarily the right way I suppose.

When I worked for the forest service I got sent out to fell a dead oak on a camp ground.
Turned out it needed to be pulled, but I didn't have a winch with me.
So I assembled all the campers, about 20 adults and at least as many children and had them pull the rope, backed well p with wedges.
When that huge tree crashed down, it really made their day.
I don't think any of the kids will forget that camping trip.
Which I had thought to take a picture.
Later I did the same thing at an international boarding school.
Had about 50 kids in school uniforms pull at tree over.
Never underestimate the pulling powre of 50 motivated kids:lol:
What a wonderful story, Stig!

Silver maple vd

I usually do too!! But I tied in to tree on right to set tag line and cut off large limb over house. Swung over to tree in vid , cut top off tied tag line to pull over tree, repelled cut 2 or 3 remaining branches. Repelled down cut both trees from bottom (mechanical advantage,grcs) to pull over away from house. Rode canoe across crick to set up 13 - 1 (1).jpg

Randy, Good Work. :thumbup:

Do you ever wedge over tops? Homeowner helpers make me nervous. People so often want to "help", so they pull. A machine tensioning makes it hard to know how much pull. I'd rather have a rope on, and make it go over from my own force by hand possibly with a wedge back-up, or pounding the top over. The 'quarter cut' technique, as I've heard it called, is where you cut half your backcut, put in a wedge, then switch sides and cut the other half. It will work well for conifer tops.

I don't know if you were feeling rushed for the backcut or not. Seemed like maybe so. Maybe cut off the far side. A machine and an rookie HO would make me feel rushed. Especially with a machine and rope, I'd like to have kerfs down under the hinge.

I find that its sometimes faster to leave the pull rope out of the equation, climb higher, and be able to handle the top. You don't have to pull the rope up, and possibly cut it out from under top. A small wedge fits in a pocket, or can have a keeper cord. Backs up the situation. If you clear out the front and the back limbs as you approach your topping cut, you can leave two whorls if you're on something spindly in order to have a shock dampener. As well, if you are pushing out a reasonable sized top, you can have it backed up with a wedge, have your lanyard between the whorls, providing fall arrest from your lanyard, as well as the ability to high-step if you need a little more leverage to push the top. Just some ideas that might help when you don't have an experienced groundie, or even if you did.

Oh, I remember the homeowner helper days. Stressful, some of them.:|:

Job well done. Collect the check, as Butch says.

Thanks Sean.
Yes, I've wedged over a few, always makes me nervous. Don't know if it's lack of experience/confidence or what?
I'm much more confident with changing the weight by cutting off back weight.....
And yes, I did feel a bit rushed and cut the far side of the hinge..... :|:
Some good tips, I appreciate it. :thumbup::)

Home owner help

Here's another top from the same property, this one went a WHOLE lot easier..... :thumbup::D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DVtG64RtTck" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
it scares the shit out of me when they attemp to throw branches in chipper or try to stand in front of the stump grinder. Especially the grinder, I tell my guys to shut it down and let the homeowner know where to stand if he wants to watch . Right in front of grinder , bad spot.

Obviously major damage to your bucket truck from the crash, and the ways of insurance companies call it totaled, but it looks like some enterprising person might be able to repair that and have a useful vehicle for themselves.

Love that grapple truck. Was the trunk all cut up when you were picking pieces? How did the other cuts not break when you were pulling off the other pieces?

grappletruck

Love that grapple truck. Was the trunk all cut up when you were picking pieces? How did the other cuts not break when you were pulling off the other pieces?
ya i cut all pieces before I pulled grapple in.didn't have to snap any off, just had to lift straight up so it wouldn't topple. I have unedited video i'll send u after work

Back