Tree felling vids

Some work from last Saturday.....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pbzUTneD7Io" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice job Randy. I'm not sure you would catch me under all those loose limbs though. I think by stripping one side you would have enough weight to move that top?

Just a little something Randy.. Something to consider.
You do hand sawing while just being on your flip line.
You tie in twice when you use the CS.
Remember, a hand saw is just as deadly if you hit a non-cable core rope as would be a chain saw.
You have the HH so to cinch the line is one extra step that is less problematic than running a Ddrt set up.
I know it's an extra step. But if you want to keep it fast like that, you might want to think about having a cable core in your kit for the removals. Or shoot a line in ahead of you with a big shot prior to going up the tree.
You are a big boy and can make your own adult decisions.. Just looking out for you bro.
You are getting better and better... :)

Nice job Randy. I'm not sure you would catch me under all those loose limbs though. I think by stripping one side you would have enough weight to move that top?

Thanks Bud.
You're probably right. What made me go "a little extra" was the wind. It was coming mostly from the back(good) and side, but was gusting and swirling a bit and also coming in from the side and front(bad). That was the one reason I stacked the limbs in the front.

Just a little something Randy.. Something to consider.
You do hand sawing while just being on your flip line.
You tie in twice when you use the CS.
Remember, a hand saw is just as deadly if you hit a non-cable core rope as would be a chain saw.
You have the HH so to cinch the line is one extra step that is less problematic than running a Ddrt set up.
I know it's an extra step. But if you want to keep it fast like that, you might want to think about having a cable core in your kit for the removals. Or shoot a line in ahead of you with a big shot prior to going up the tree.
You are a big boy and can make your own adult decisions.. Just looking out for you bro.
You are getting better and better... :)

Thanks for pointing that out Stephen, I do appreciate it.
I do have a steel core flipline, nice Yale 1/2" maxi flip sport.
A "few times" this past summer I tried setting a line in a Pine to make it easier for me to climb/limb it. after 1 to 2 hours of getting my throw line hung up several times:banghead: I just fliplined up. Depending on how "thick" the crown is I'm now hesitant to try to set a line in some Pines. I really need to get a lot more practice setting a line in Pine(I have no problem with hardwoods) with my Bigshot. I will say on the plus side, I have set a line in some Pines this summer with no problem. More practice I think.

Good work. Id recommend putting a line in the top and having someone pull tops over if possible. You can estimate lean, and try and counter weight tops. That's all good stuff. But at some point, using those methods, you will find yourself to be mistaken. Good work, good video, and start considering having someone pull the top over.

Randy, are you free-handing with a BS? A 10 or 12' pole with the release can get you some better aim and 'punch' through the crown.

No, I've got a snap shackle set up on an 8' pole(two 4' sections)with a prussik to hold where I set it.
Works really good, and a whole lot easier to aim. Hitting the mark isn't much trouble, it's trying to isolate a limb
that seems to get me in trouble and "chew up" a lot of time. :( I've taken down some Pines that were very bushy/brushy/thick
in the crown. I love using the BS, it's a great tool and can be a huge time and effort saver for sure. I know more practice/experience
will help out a lot(I hope). :D

Good work. Id recommend putting a line in the top and having someone pull tops over if possible. You can estimate lean, and try and counter weight tops. That's all good stuff. But at some point, using those methods, you will find yourself to be mistaken. Good work, good video, and start considering having someone pull the top over.

I'm going back to the same property tomorrow. I actually already talked with the home owner about pulling the top out of this next one.
"Should" be able to get it down quick with minimum effort. :thumbup::D

Randy, I kept looking and wanting to see more of the anchor knot where your climb line attached to the carabiner, the end you were using to advance your tie in. Seems kind of loose.... Probably not a concern and I'm not all that informed about it. Just take the liberty of mentioning it.

Randy, my suggestion wasn't a criticism. More or less sharing my thoughts based on a mistake I made several times. Ive had tops sit back on me in the tree and the only thing in my mind is "Oh fu#&......."

Randy, I kept looking and wanting to see more of the anchor knot where your climb line attached to the carabiner, the end you were using to advance your tie in. Seems kind of loose.... Probably not a concern and I'm not all that informed about it. Just take the liberty of mentioning it.
Jay,
It's a buntline knot, I think it's one of those "nautical" knots borrowed from sailing.....? I like it 'cause it's relatively small and cinches down on itself.
Yes, it did look kinda loose in the video, but I didn't have any trouble with it. I'll try to pull some pics of it off the video..... ;)

Randy, my suggestion wasn't a criticism. More or less sharing my thoughts based on a mistake I made several times. Ive had tops sit back on me in the tree and the only thing in my mind is "Oh fu#&......."

Chris,
I appreciate you sharing that. And of course with the wind swirling around I was thinking the same thing when I was stacking limbs in the front.....
I've only had a top come back on me once, it wasn't that big and I didn't get hurt but it scared me quite a bit. Pulling the top over is safer, no doubt.
And you are absolutely right, there ain't no place to go when you're in the top of a tree.
Thanks for sharing that Chris. :)

Yes, I know the buntline hitch, that and the anchor are what i often use. Some of the most reliable knots for that application, I believe. I do like to see them cinched down reasonably tight. Looks can be deceiving, yours could have been perfectly fine.

Thanks for pointing it out Jay. Everything, every comment, suggestion, criticism, recommendation, I appreciate it all 'cause it helps me
to be better(just so long as I can remember it all). I'll need to hear most of it over and over, as long as I remember the stuff that will
keep me safe I'll be alright..... :thumbup::D

I so know what you mean about shooting a line into a conifer Randy... They all suck like that... Seems most the shots ricochet off the trunk instead of running perfectly over the branch near the bole... Or... The line walks out the branch like magic :lol:
You'll get better at it... It will still suck from time to time though.
Why I just keep the cable core handy and now have the HH....
After a few tries... If I lose my patience... I just flip up the tree and cinch the trunk for cuts with the climb line.

Isolate, what's that?

Ya, Stephan, the perfect collar shot off by 2", with a ricochet off the trunk.

I use an 8' pole for the 'stick trick' to 'extend your arm' while trying to hop a rope closer to the trunk. Throwing an 'overhand loop' up the rope instead of a 'sine wave' helps me to get the rope positioned better. Hard to explain, but I am now the happy owner of a Contour Roam2. I'll be able to video it much more clearly, if needed. The loop doesn't 'die out' at the limb like a sine wave. It hops much better. I picked it up in rock climbing for pulling down ropes stuck during a rappel.

Here's another top from the same property, this one went a WHOLE lot easier..... :thumbup::D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DVtG64RtTck" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back