Tree felling vids

They must have gotten those saws stuck now and again. That would be a real pain. Imagine sawing 3/4 through and then you have to start again. What about bucking when there is top bind, I guess you have to saw
upwards. :|:

I would guess top bind would be easily dealt with using wedges. But what about bucking a log partially imbedded in the ground??

Love seeing the videos you all post, especially these old ones, really good stuff. :)
The thing is it's very intimidating(to me anyway)to post stuff after seeing what y'all are posting up.....
Just sayin'..... here's a couple from last month, didn't have the helmet cam(wouldn't charge???)so I went back to my digital camera.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2VE_toEZikU?list=UU842xTf3flYgYQxY4foxF8w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JmFUT7nlOyk?list=UU842xTf3flYgYQxY4foxF8w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks guys,
"Part time ground crew". Better than having no ground crew. ;)
I have to use a whole lot a wisdom and discernment whenever the home owner wants to "help out".
And yes, many times it's a straight "No, thanks for offering, I've got it.....". :thumbup:;)

"I'm sorry, our insurance won't allow anyone but our crew to help out"
Nice way to keep folks back without offending them

When I can I get the HO on the rope to pull the stick over.
Funny to see there chests puff out with accomplishment.
Leave a good bit of hinge to let them feel what its like
to have a rope hand cramp. Shhh.

When I can I get the HO on the rope to pull the stick over.
Funny to see there chests puff out with accomplishment.
Leave a good bit of hinge to let them feel what its like
to have a rope hand cramp. Shhh.

When I worked for the forest service I got sent out to fell a dead oak on a camp ground.
Turned out it needed to be pulled, but I didn't have a winch with me.
So I assembled all the campers, about 20 adults and at least as many children and had them pull the rope, backed well p with wedges.
When that huge tree crashed down, it really made their day.
I don't think any of the kids will forget that camping trip.
Which I had thought to take a picture.
Later I did the same thing at an international boarding school.
Had about 50 kids in school uniforms pull at tree over.
Never underestimate the pulling powre of 50 motivated kids:lol:

I like homeowners to be at work while I do my thing.

If I'm dropping trees close to houses, I like them gone. Rigging really close to houses, they could be gone. Once I'm a little clear, I like them to watch, for earning referrals. The Comm units allow you to shut out the jabberjaw HO, respectfully.

I like homeowners to be home so that they can give snacks and presents. It's pretty common. Tickets for bottles of beer is a particular favorite. Kind of tired of the questions though, where are you from and how long have you been here? Sometimes i say China.

I had a bad experience with rookies pulling a top over. I was doing my volunteer work for the Salavation Army ad took down a blue spruce 12" from a dining hall at a kids camp The only thing I needed was the backleaned top pulled over. I rallied an adult that was present and gave him instructions not to pull until I tell him to and don't rock it. Just a steady sure pull. Well he rallied another man against my wishes and they proceeded to pull like the hounds of hell on that top as soon as I started the back cut. They caused it to hinge way too soon and fold down and hang on by hinge strands. The top was now pointing straight down plumb to the ground and dropped down and bent the gutters. Done right, they would have jumped the top right out many feet from the building when it landed.

Back