Tree felling vids

Ha!! I thought it was just me...glad you guys liked it. Those guys were in their prime and making their history...their story.

hahaha...10-4 on the Beau Boys. They would probably not have lasted long there. It caught my attention how calmly but intensely attentive the loggers were whenever logs were being snaked in the woods or at the water. They all got right still in a hurry and watched until the behemoth was out of their area.

Serious stuff.

Great find, gary.
I've shared it with some logging buddies.

Great find Gary.

Have you all seen these? Not sure if I have posted them before;

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BcHO2UzJr7w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/p27MX9Vy4Jk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/C95EFowJUXg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9wOoOfbn3_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pqDK14IhBuM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

reel 2, that high climber was awesome, wife watched it an was amazed at the tree he climbed and then she scolded me and said I dont want you to stand on top after dropping tops...lol

It's really wonderful that a few people back then had the foresight to record the happenings at the time. And new old movies of the old logging keep on coming. Truly a labor of love to compile, restore and put them all together. And I'd like to get all those on a disk.

I can watch them forever. Thanks for digging them up and sharing

That is some crazy shite. Some of those pictures make you wonder if steam donks had more power than a diesel yarder!

Topping those monsters, what a job. I'd be all cramped up before I could get it done, fo sho. Yes, assuming you could get me up there;) And I presume it would be tricky aka dangerous to take a top that had much of any lean to it. Imagine trying to avoid barber chair 200' up using a cross cut saw. Wow

no stats back in the day. In for your job, out for your life. that was the saying in the bush with the choker setters. There were supposedly guys up on the landing ready to take your place if you got hurt or killed. And no doubt that ethos pervaded all the jobs in the woods.

They must have gotten those saws stuck now and again. That would be a real pain. Imagine sawing 3/4 through and then you have to start again. What about bucking when there is top bind, I guess you have to saw
upwards. :|:

There was a thread over at the FF about cooking in the logging camps. The cook was the boss, and camps thrived, or failed, by the cook.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0zb1qsVqjwg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The injury stats on those fellows would make for an interesting read.

B, I was thinking the same thing!

I guess they didnt have friction savers and 24 strand climbing lines for coming down after taking top? LOL Life expectancy must have been short, I wouldnt have lasted long out there :|:

Back