Tree felling vids

I just wish more people were posting, especially all the new members with zero posts. Why join a forum if you don't plan to ever participate?

Some men lurk just to learn but maybe don't feel confident in participating. Every forum is like that. 10,000 members and 500 active posters.

I'm posting, I'm posting. Got one right here and another one uploading as I type.....;)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-NRaGXNUETQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Randy have you seen Jacks (I think) videos on climber set speedlines?

I think you would enjoy it...

Who is running the ropes?

That would be me.....

Here's the second part, it just finished uploading, the thumbnails haven't come up yet.....OK I was wrong the thumbnails just came up.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HAEsGrXDRBs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gotcha... Are you using wraps on the tree or a LD? pulley or crotch?

On the big top in the first part, rigged up a Porta wrap, I think if you look close you can see it below my feet.
In the second part I just posted, I used a figure 8, it was a smaller top and I don't think it was any problem for overloading.....
Time for bed, 4am is coming fast.

The knot works better for me when the "rings" are freehanging from several conifer branches or in an open hardwood crotch than it does for choking the spar. A proper sized fender washer that is hitched on the tail of your climbline with some accessory cord is about the cheapest retriever your can make. I don't know how well that works. I bought the manufactured ball made for girth hitching to the eye of your rope for a couple bucks before I knew the fender washer trick. The fender washer can be put on a longer length of cord so that you can tie a secure friction hitch like a 3 coil prussic.

Hope that made sense. I'm tired.

You'll smooth out with time. Took me a while to get the hang of self lowering and letting it run. Watch those stubs though.. They will bite or can make life a tad miserable. Nice vids..
Love when you have a few stems close like that and can work them all down smoothly together.

Thanks guys! :D
Sure would be easier if I had a "veteran" climber to work with, but all these comments/suggestions are helping me out a whole lot. :thumbup:
Thanks again! ;)

Randy, you're doing well.

At around 3:11, your top is roped too tightly from what I could see. Let there be a bit of slack so it drops below your feet. You could be easily injuries by that top.

To dampen the shaking of the trunk, leave some limbs on the trunk when dropping a top, whether roping or free falling.

BMS belay spool!

:thumbup: on the Belay Spool! Though, a vertical speed line could have been used for the whole job.

Roger that on drops below the feet and dampening limbs. ;)

Even so, everything went well ... GOOD JOB, Randy ... nice vids! :)

Randy, you're doing well.

At around 3:11, your top is roped too tightly from what I could see. Let there be a bit of slack so it drops below your feet. You could be easily injuries by that top.

To dampen the shaking of the trunk, leave some limbs on the trunk when dropping a top, whether roping or free falling.

BMS belay spool!

Clearing the climber is the name of the game. Even small wood can rip a climber up.

Ayuh, that makes sense to me, this body ain't gettin' any younger and I'm all for anything I can do to keep it from getting hit by large(or small)pieces of falling or swinging wood. ;)

:thumbup: on the Belay Spool! Though, a vertical speed line could have been used for the whole job.

Roger that on drops below the feet and dampening limbs. ;)

Even so, everything went well ... GOOD JOB, Randy ... nice vids! :)

Vertical speed line, hmmmmm, haven't tried that(yet).....:dontknow:

Thanks again guys! :D

Here's one I did awhile back...to keep limbs from bouncing into the house. With no one to lower limbs for me that day this was the solution. Hand held video...really needed a GoPro or Contour.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5-CIXVcJeG8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's a good little video. Shows some of the "challenges" of being a "one man crew", I can really appreciate that. ;)
Vertical speed line looks like a handy "tool"..... :thumbupold:
Thanks. :D

Just uploaded this from last Saturday..... :thumbupold:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2ru8PEurePk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back