Tree felling vids

This vid was posted way back...didn't see it then. They take some BIG tops...lots of good cutting and climbing.

At the 2:00 mark...what is the stick trick he uses? Is it a sight gauge to help guide the back cut?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iae7xtEcJkU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At the 2:00 mark...what is the stick trick he uses? Is it a sight gauge to help guide the back cut?

They are leaving just enough strap to hold the tree upright. The stick helps judge where the other cut ends. Then when the helo comes in it can grapple the vertical stem and wiggle it back and forth breaking it off the stump. Too thick and they cant get it to snap.

Great vid, but what's it got to do with hippies? Cutting those big tops, the kerf starting to open up is definitely your friend.

This vid was posted way back...didn't see it then. They take some BIG tops...lots of good cutting and climbing.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iae7xtEcJkU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great video! I'd like to join that crew for a few days....
That fir top he is taking out is taller than the poor trees we have here :lol::lol::lol:

One question....do they always climb only with the flipline when they fell those big tops?

I'm guessing... a pretty penny! I'd like to know how much the pilot makes!

Edit, as close as I can find on Google...

Q: What can I expect to be paid as a helicopter pilot?
A: Flight instructors make between $15 and $25 an hour starting pay. A helicopter pilot can expect to make between $35,000 and $45,000 in the first two years of employment. From there the salaries go up to $50,000 and $60,000 for mid-level jobs and upwards to over $100,000 for twin engine and high skill jobs such as corporate, news and logging. AOL Salary Center has information about median salaries for helicopter pilots.

That's 385 bucks a day, according to my math - cool!

Bonner: Ha! Wow man I didn't realize that you worked for Davey. Just saw your vid, and the shirts and hard-hats can't be missed. Ha, that's funny--plus you're right there in Ohio, fairly close--I assume--to Kent.

Anyway: well done on the trees, man. I really like how you guys utilize your GRCS to pull stuff. We've got one too but we never use it. :|:

Send it my way Jed. I will put it to good use. Really need one coming up soon if anybody is game. Nice Nick. I missed the audio first go around and by your hand signals I thought you would lay it on the course.

That is the exact opposite of the reason they hired us to do it vs doing it themselves!

:lol:

They would have been very upset if we had done that... The golfcourse guys are great, they have lots of big equipment and like using it so they always just have us make a mess and then they clean it up.

I had a guy call me Wednesday about a pine that was growing on a creek bank just out of his yard. The whole root system had broken loose from the bank and was slowly crumbling down into the creek bed. The tree was 90-ish feet tall and leaning worse by the day. He had secured a cable to it at about 20' up, which was hooked to a 90+ HP John Deere tractor, which was chained to another tree. The pine had shifted enough to slide the tractor back a few inches until the chains were tight. I set two lines in it to guy it off before Wraptoring up to about 80' where I tied three pull lines. I hooked one to my pickup, one to another of his tractors and just had the other for good measure, though it wasn't needed. I cut a wide notch in it, tightened a bit more, then back cut it and pulled it over. He was concerned that his bridge be saved if at all possible, and it was not hurt at all.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7t2yaJyZFNQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PervyCarrollpine1_zps9692bb45.jpg

PervyCarrollpine2_zps383758c7.jpg

Back