Tree felling vids

Um, just gonna put my capitan obvious cape on, since I cut a lot of burned trees (thanks USFS regulations!)

Keep your head up! Watch the tops, every burned tree is a snag. It's dead, it's standing, and it's unpredictable. Believe it or not, those crispy critters can still limblock! Even halfway down! You cannot predict the integrity of the tree, or its neighbors accurately. Do not expect the tree to hinge like a green tree, while it may not be rotten, it may be baked through. Carpenters have a bit of an edge here, since they work with dried wood, they have a better feel for how it behaves, sometimes.

Bring extra water, the fire burned off the shade, and even in November, you can suffer. Electrolytes are friends.

But that's just my two cents, and if I wasn't stuck home with a busted rib, I wouldn't have the time to point this stuff out.

Um, just gonna put my capitan obvious cape on, since I cut a lot of burned trees (thanks USFS regulations!)

Keep your head up! Watch the tops, every burned tree is a snag. It's dead, it's standing, and it's unpredictable. Believe it or not, those crispy critters can still limblock! Even halfway down! You cannot predict the integrity of the tree, or its neighbors accurately. Do not expect the tree to hinge like a green tree, while it may not be rotten, it may be baked through. Carpenters have a bit of an edge here, since they work with dried wood, they have a better feel for how it behaves, sometimes.

Bring extra water, the fire burned off the shade, and even in November, you can suffer. Electrolytes are friends.

But that's just my two cents, and if I wasn't stuck home with a busted rib, I wouldn't have the time to point this stuff out.
Thanks!

Hey, I have a friend in Show Low. Tom Dunham, backhoe guy. I like that area, especially the higher mountains east. I'm having a saw GTG here in Feb if that interests you. I go to Kingman and CO sometimes too.

Well it was an interesting exercise, but If there wasn’t a better way of doing that then I wouldn’t do it.

Loading all the wood (and sawdust) by hand is mind blowing.

Well it was an interesting exercise, but If there wasn’t a better way of doing that then I wouldn’t do it.

Loading all the wood (and sawdust) by hand is mind blowing.
As a sometimes/ maybe frequently solo tree man, I'm surprised he doesn't have a mini loader.

Back