Tree felling vids

And remember, it's not all that critical to get the bores from opposite sides to line up exactly. A little bit of overlap between the two will usually break out fine when the tree commits as the rear strap is severed. And if it doesn't (which would likely mean you didn't really have that much head lean in the first place), you can then send it with a couple of wedges.
Yes, kind of a snap cut.the NZ fellers do a weird low plunge T/snap back cut release.

But the misaligned bore cuts hurt the pride, waste time cutting the same wood twice, make for more difficult feeding with the tip buried, and reduce chip extraction.

Last edited:
Yes, kind of a snap cut.the NZ fellers do a weird low plunge T/snap cut.

But the misaligned bore cuts hurt the pride, waste time cutting the same wood twice, make for more difficult feeding with the tip buried, and reduce chip extraction.
Hahaha Katelyn was the best one on our crew who could line them up exact. You could crayon your hinge vertically and horizontally with a level. That’s what I would do because both sides would be level with an indication. It just depends on form or body position to not let the bar end up higher or lower as you bore.

There's a lot to be said about a stick. You can just walk away, and don't have to recover it. I usually use a wedge if I remember to stick one in my pocket. Unfortunately, I don't always remember.

Oak and other deciduous sticks are very convenient, perhaps not so much with the trees you cut.

Jerry showed a cool trick of cutting a wedge and using the bar to tap it into place before finishing the cut.

Filmed this Redwood hanging off a cliff. Had to use an old growth stump to stand on and sadly had to put a 42 on lol. I like my small bars for big trees. 20/4 was the first log and then two longs after it till the power buck. The 500i did not care that it had a 42 inch bar on.

Attachments

• IMG_3991.jpeg
    IMG_3991.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3990.jpeg
    IMG_3990.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 8
Back