Tree felling vids

I hate it when that happens.

A pine?
Yes sir, the Aleppo in the “long tree fall” video on the previous page. Limb tips and the oleanders they were leaned on were pushing back too much. I think I should have salami cut it. I underestimated the push and thought the heavy ported 395 with .404 would blow through fast enough.

ETA I learned a lot about pinch on that tree.

Last edited:
too much big stuff being cracked over with the GRCS. Takes a while to set all that up, better off doing it in 3 or 4 smaller pieces, tie, tension, cut, swing, rinse and repeat. Keeps momentum and rhythm going rather than a long stop for one piece.
$$

like it had eyes.

What tree is that, wood must be very strong to do what it did.

He said it was different than a Sizwell but looked Siz to me

I swear, there must be a thousand different ways of getting your chainsaw stuck in a cut. I know, because I'm an expert.

And over the years I have learned avoiding most scenarios only takes understanding the forces of tension and pressure (bind) and how both work, independently or together, on the stems of a tree.

With simple instruction, less than an hour, any able-bodied person with common sense and sound mind can be taught how to read the binds in tree, and all the tricks to relieving those binds in an efficient and safe manner. After which they will undoubtedly get their chainsaw stuck in the next tree they cut.

Isn't that the way it goes.

I still get stuck on occasion, yeah, but not near as often as I once use to.
Proof at one time or another it happens to everyone ! ... me , sometimes I might just have read the tensions wrong , other times near days end my reflexes just aren't as quick getting out of the cut. Working alone I have had excellent luck saving my stuck saw with the "sapling trick" from Fundamentals.

I can’t remember if I stated this before, but on my 346 I have a std Oregon .050” Oregon bar and stihl 23rsp (which is wicked fast BTW) which is .050” narrow kerf. The chain is barely wider than the bar, so when you start to see or feel pinch, it slides out on the bar instead of catching on the cutters. Handy.

I can’t remember if I stated this before, but on my 346 I have a std Oregon .050” Oregon bar and stihl 23rsp (which is wicked fast BTW) which is .050” narrow kerf. The chain is barely wider than the bar, so when you start to see or feel pinch, it slides out on the bar instead of catching on the cutters. Handy.
What "it" slides out on the bar...?

Last day on the ski hill is tomorrow, it was a blast and very rocky. Thankful for the experience and getting to cut for a chinook provided by Columbia. I’m off to the coast now and starting to cut Tuesday. Going to give the busheling life my all and see how it pans out. Cromen and Columbia will be flying the redwood out :)

Back