Tree felling vids

I saw the spark too. That made me pleased.
The Master at work, it's exactly that. The precision of the cuts is amazing.

On a side note, how are built your roads?
I can't believe that they sustain such impacts with no damage. Landing flat, that's already pushing it far, but why not. But speared straight in line, with this size from that height... One log even split in half from the impact !

I know what you mean @Marc-Antoine, I understand tarmac is more resilient when cold but still.

A bit of patch to fill in is no great hardship I guess, better than road closures due to wind throw or a death.

No road on the NF here would have taken those hits without some fairly serious damage, I am pretty sure. I don't think the state highways would fair any better.

Climbing in rain is next level stuff, for me anyway. I suppose a conifer like that would be far better than a spreading, deciduous tree that needed leaders clambered out on, but yeah, climbing in the rain IMO makes anything seem like twice the work. I probably never started a climbing job in the rain, probably been caught up a tree in the rain a time or two, but not in ages

Yes, though he clearly hates negative comments on his youtube feed. I've never posted vids nor recd comments but I'm surprised that he would give two shits about negative comments, especially given that probably 99% of his comments are positive. I mean, when there's lots of comments from the public, a few wing nuts are to be fully expected so why would you focus on them? Curious.

I remember he turned commenting off for quite a while. There are a lot of people who will comment bad just because he killed a tree. Also there are plenty of “tree people” that don’t get it and will run their keyboard mouths negatively. Although he kind of explained the situation, many assume that it was reckless to bomb onto the road or say he should’ve put a line in it or even just send the whole tree. Not that I comment on YouTube but if I see something I don’t think was done right, I ask a question. I don’t criticize. A picture or video only lets one see part of the whole scenario.

I guess that if you are doing a premium job and be proud of it (because it's well earned), the comments calling that a shitty job would get under your skin, even if they are few and made by people who almost certainly never ran a chainsaw, let alone climbed a tree.

What I can't understand is the need to take that tree down in pieces.
It is in the middle of a forest apparently.
A decent faller could drop it in 5 minutes, why waste time and money on a take down.

Is there something I'm not seeing.

My guess would be felling it could cause a lot of adjacent damage that would have to be dealt with as the roadway and cars are close. And obviously, lots of trees can realistically only be felled in one direction and perhaps that direction wouldn't work given other nearby trees. Safe to say, if it could be felled without climbing, they would have

I use wedges all the time and as I've learned over the years, there absolutely a limit to what is wedge-able.

I'm surprised at your line of questioning. You think a pro like Reg would unnecessarily climb a tree that could be dumped whole?

My take on it as well Pete since they were reducing and saving the trees next to it. Pretty crowded group for a fell with no damage. Busy highway too. Might have limits as to how long traffic could be held up

With a skidder handy, that would be 15 minutes top.
Fell the tree across the highway, which as far as I can tell, is with the lean, buck the part that is across the road and push it aside with the skidder.
I've done that countless times.

As for the wedges thing, Cory, that was just my way of trying to live up to the new standard for politeness, in the 'House.
I was going to write " Bullshit".
With a big enough winch or forwarder and a strong enough cable or rope, it is VERY few trees in the forest that can't be made to go the way you want them to.

I'll buy the collateral damage on other trees, thing.
We'll probably be heading that way too, the way things are going, here.

Better to spend a lot of taxpayer money thn break a few branches off a tree.

With a skidder handy, that would be 15 minutes top.
Fell the tree across the highway, which as far as I can tell, is with the lean, buck the part that is across the road and push it aside with the skidder.
I've done that countless times.

As for the wedges thing, Cory, that was just my way of trying to live up to the new standard for politeness, in the 'House.
I was going to write " Bullshit".
With a big enough winch or forwarder and a strong enough cable or rope, it is VERY few trees in the forest that can't be made to go the way you want them to.

I'll buy the collateral damage on other trees, thing.
We'll probably be heading that way too, the way things are going, here.

Better to spend a lot of taxpayer money thn break a few branches off a tree.
She looks a little like the girl you trained, I kinda assumed she was, except for where she does stupid stuff like that, but newbies can hold on to strange habits for the wrong reasons.

I got a new phone. Raw footage.

She said it was better to hit the dying alder and maple, not the root-rot immune cedar to the right or deciduous huckleberry on the left side of her access road.

It skittled down the alder, coming to rest in that wide maple fork, with side-bind a-plenty.

Back