Tree felling vids

Nice work. My only piddle paddle notification is this: move the busted out undercuts from the lay of the tree. I have it on good authority that they can cause unexpected problems. :/:

How?
I've always made a habit of piling the cut off butresses and face 3-5 feet in front of the face cut. Help keep the end of the log out of the mud, making trimming it easier

We never do the yahoo hollering and victory dance when felling or topping trees.
We want to give the client the impression that we do this stuff every day, so it is no big deal to us.
So we just knock it over and act bored.

Same here, Stig. Act like that's what you expected to happen...it was, wasn't it? :)

Maybe it's easier for us, my friend. We send 'em down with felling cuts way more often that the full-on arbs do.

Alright you guys, knock it off ...
attachment.php
I'm gonna wet myself.

How?
I've always made a habit of piling the cut off butresses and face 3-5 feet in front of the face cut. Help keep the end of the log out of the mud, making trimming it easier

We never do the yahoo hollering and victory dance when felling or topping trees.
We want to give the client the impression that we do this stuff every day, so it is no big deal to us.
So we just knock it over and act bored.

No problem in the woods...especially on soft ground. But...in a residential setting, a friend of mine was taking out a tree. Made his undercut, busted it out and left it in the lay. Dropped the stick and the undercut flew out 90 degrees from the lay and smashed a big bay window on the client's shop. I recognize that this doesn't happen often, and in the woods there would be no problem with a busted out undercut going travelling. Just putting it out there.

Nice felling ST.

I can see that happening easy enough.
That scenario was not one I had thought about!
I will in the future, thanks.

Happened to me once, tv news was filming as they were historic trees. When the butt hit the pie cut, it shot out ad hit me in the chest as I was backing away. Fortunately when I watched the news that night the falling trunk was in the way of me getting whacked. Filed away for future reference like that time I thought falling the trunk on a pile of small, cut rounds would make the job quicker....

I had a football sized chunk of log come out of the chipper and hit me in the stomach last week. In that instant I thought I was dead, fortunately it only knocked the wind out of me.

I sure was!

Often we chip logs as opposed to loading them, so figure you got 18" rounds that are 16" tall....We stack em up on the chipper and then push them in with the log behind it or a shovel while one guy holds the yoke lever up. When the log hits the rollers you close the yoke.

Probly not the best idea huh? But its hard to push the logs in from the side without exposing your head to the same risk.

A couple of vid's showing what I have been up to for 47 days this Summer. Still have a lot more to add. Dang good to be back home!

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rCCVKy-KigI?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rCCVKy-KigI?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FeszMPb4Fmw?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FeszMPb4Fmw?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Nice vid, nice cutting. Cutting smoldering trees is crazy stuff.

Is it beautiful country where you were, excepting the burned stuff of course?

How'd they start, lightening?

Back