The RIP Thread...

I'll miss her more...

Jean Stapleton Dies at 90

jean-stapleton-300.jpg

Edit - this is old... she passed in 2013

Crackhead Bob was definitely cool. I used to be a huge Stern fan but haven't listened since he went to satellite. Howard was so good that he often made it difficult to get outta the truck for work cuz he was busy riffing. Howard was always at his best when at war with management at the station. I remember when I first heard him on a station in CT, this was before he revolutionized radio, he was on a rock station but would work his bits in between songs and between saying how awful the songs, and his bosses, were. Anyway, it would be 6am and he would call random people and wake them up- terribly primitive bits but awesomely funny and no one else had done it .

Do you listen to HS on satellite? If so, how is he these days?

Howard kind of pioneered the thing about riffing about nothing, like Sieinfeld was known for, he could go for a 1/2 hour about how his wife bought the wrong kind of tuna. Another priceless thing was how Howard and Fred would ridicule the chit out of Jackie and his life. Just hysterical stuff using only the staff in the studio, no guests.

:lol:

Beetle Juice, he's another good one. "Who, Me??"

I dont have satellite in the house, not sure how to do that, but I listen when I am driving or in a tractor.

We could never get Stern up here when I was a kid, so I have nothing to base it on. Only ever listened on satellite.

I love it, when I get the chance to listen I listen all day. They replay the show all day long. Never get to listen live except during calving season!

Yeah, my favorite is when he just talks about stuff, prank calls are great too. My wife likes the interviews, but talking about nonsense is the best for me.

I really like it Cory, he is on less now per his new contract, but in my opinion the content is just as good. I miss Artie, but really like it when George Takei comes on.

You dont have satellite?

yeah, that was tough when artie left, he was good. He used to tell funny stories about his father, the roofer. If you listen to the old shows, then you've heard Jackie the Jokeman?? He's a riot, has one of those contagious laughs, love his own jokes.

Only listen live during calving season in Montana?? Something tells me Howard would get a kick out of that.

I don't have satellite in any of my vehicles, too cheap to have it installed.

The bio movie about him was very cool.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c8pqttYzlc8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I did watch it back in the day. I pretty much knew it all already from being an avid fan for years so for me it was meh. Also you can see from the trailer that Howard can act decently but not Robin and Fred.

I just found out a close family friend who was in the hospital with pneumonia didn't make. I'm feeling really sick about it right now.

Back