The RIP Thread...

An old friend passed away this morning. Pancreatic cancer. Suffered for a couple months. Been friends for over 40 years. Heck of a nice guy. Sure going to miss him. He used to like to come and help with any big project I had going on. Had lots of problems and ailments. Spent quite a few years in Love Canal growing up. On a riverboat in Vietnam. Spray painted cars for quite a while. Smoked 3 packs for quite a few years. I guess he is lucky to make it to 72.

I’m sorry for your loss man.

I often ponder the cancer rates in some areas here and wonder if there’s a strong connection to Love Canal.

My mom told be a story about some black sludge with a nasty chem stink back flowing up a laundry tub drain at a place in Love Canal she babysat at when she was 20 or so. Cancer took her at 50, no smoking or red meat or any of the stuff that’s supposed to contribute to it.

Chuck Wales, 100. One of my blacksmithing mentors. Navy veteran. GE Naval Ordinance employee. Designed the hydrostatic steering for the Bradley Fighting Vehicle. He would rattle off pi to 40 places and jokingly say "that was all you needed for MOST calculations". I tried to see how many places I could remember (200, at one point). There aren't too many Chucks out there. He will be missed.

the Angels overall are an interesting group , they'd show up at Dead shows some. I personally never ever felt threatened , I remember my girlfriend at the time being really pissed off at me when I talked to one late one rainy night at a Thruway rest stop. Only us three in the whole joint so I nodded at him and said hi , he returned same no problem. One of their things is , "all they want is respect"

In 1988 I was driving down highway 1 in California on my 1938 Danish Nimbus motorcycle, when a whole bunch of them showed up.
They pretty much surrounded me and one waved at me to pull over.
I was really WTF?
Then the leader very politely excused for delaying me, but " What the hell is that bike, you're driving?".
So I showed them the specifics of the bike and explained it's history, they said thanks and we parted ways.

Last edited:
I read the book by Hunter S Thompson.
Fun read.
I reckon most folks would punch that guy in the face a few times if they had to hang out with him for extended periods of time.

Back