The Official Work Pictures Thread

Maximalist, how did you learn such good English?

You guys need a good storm to make the power companies wake up.
After the "storm of the century" in 1999 ( which kept me busy doing forest clean-up and salvage for 1½ years!!) took out the electricity in the country for days and in some places weeks, they started putting all powerlines in the ground except for the really high voltage ones.
That project is nearly finished, and it sure has made our job easier.

You guys would despise my area. Theres a reason I don't use cranes. I simply cant. Too many bare wires everywhere. I mean everywhere. Too much headache to use a crane. Crane companies walk away constantly when I show them the work. I rig and rope around wires for a living pretty much.

Got the Rottne out! Those buggers are tough to get the hang of initially if You don't speak Scandanavian or whatever language all the controls are written in.

Bad everything as its not maintained at all lol. Does the job though!

Sorry I missed your call the other day, was driving, meant to call back then forgot!

The mini ex/digger getting work done.

The second stump starts at 2:07
The bush removal starts at 4:07
The third stump ("huge" oak) starts at 4:31

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DSp2j5OsrXk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The 540 after it got the stump moved to the "Stump Monument."

Attachments

• IMG_6248.jpg
    IMG_6248.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6246.jpg
    IMG_6246.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 70
Carl mount one of those cameras just above the 'knuckle' on that mini-ex. facing down towards the bucket so the POV moves with the bucket. Kinda like right above the hyd ram...

I am sure my lingo is wrong.. sorry. you get my drift.

Gotcha, on the dipper aimed at the bucket. The only problem for time lapse with that is that it sucks to watch as the background is moving too much. If I made the boom a bigger portion of the shot, it would give the eye/mind something to anchor on.

We started the ash grafting stock program today.
Lovely weather, nice tall trees and they actually pay us to climb them:)

They have everything lined up, so the stock we cut today, will be grafted tomorrow. Minimun delay should hopefully assure succes.

P1020530.JPG P1020520.JPG P1020527.JPG

Hopefully.
All the trees around the one in the picture was either dead or dying.

They don't fgure that the ones we are taking grafting stock from are completely immune, but rather that they have the ability to compartmentalize the fungus.

They had originally found 66 trees here on the island ( we'll move on to the mainland next week). Those were each infected by the fungus by means of placing an ifected chunk of wood from a dying tree in direct contact with the cambium layer.

That took out about ½ of them. The rest survived and will hopefully be the basis from which future ash trees will come.

And yes, that one was a fine specimen.
Had a real fine veneer log on it, too. ( sorry, I am after all a logger).

Back