The Official Work Pictures Thread

Jed could probably pull even that off, if really pressed:P

Well thanks for the grace... I feel like if a vid is short enough, it’s basically the same as a long picture maybe??:|:

I guess I’ve also wondered for a long time why we as tradesmen (in the main) tend to pay so little attention in general to saw chain...it’s like: ropes?... ten thousand threads... gear.. million threads... rigging... loads of threads... saws... more threads, and even forums, than you would wanna read, but saw chain?... the one thing which actually cuts the wood... cricket sound.

OK so the videos were a bad idea and forgive me for trashing the thread brothers.

Frankie: why the pink paint on top of the rakers?Was that to keep track of where you were at?

Burnham: Thanks. I guess our company is too close to Seattle.😞
Yes, I usually color the whole tooth-top,side,inside and the raker with a blue or red paint pen ... let dry and then when I file I visually see when it’s cleaned up ... An xtra step no doubt - also lets me know when I’ve gone around the whole chain

Just watched the vid Jedi ... 3 chains are STIHL RS and the one with the golden link is Husqvarna c 83 - when I do my videos I use an off the roll chain and try and get 25% with the built saw ... Now , once I’m there I know a guy can take a stock saw off the shelf and mine will outperform it using same off roll chain by 25% or more ! Not done yet - because the modded saw has more Torque it can pull increased angles (talking sqr/rnd like RS) and lower rakers ... let’s say on me hotwoods 462c I go 35-37degrees (instead of 30degrees stock/off the roll) AND drop rakers to .030 (from stock.026) the saw has the torque to pull it and you can get up to 40% over a stocker np ... lotsa builders are shooting for hp at a higher (11,000-12000prm in the cut) but when you “dog in” or lotsa knotsa , or very hard wny hardwood they lack abit on the low end and tend to “fall off the pipe” - in pnw wood / softer wood they do better ... Remember ... Horsepower sells cars ... Torque wins races or in this case gives ya a quicker cut cut ... also use less fuel - if you are same or quicker at 10000 rpm than a saw at 12500 in the wood you will use less fuel to do the same amount of work in the same / less time and engine will last a bit longer all things being equal

Last edited:
If you have questions, i can help, been a steamfitter for 16 years now.

The shop is 50’x100’.
I have just shy of 5000ft of 3/4” pex laid on 18” centers stapled to 2” foam under the 5” slab.
The log boiler is 300’ away with 1-1/4 supply/return lines in foam filled pipe.
The log boiler is dual fuel wood or propane. I believe the unit is rated at 500k BTU.
I believe we are looking to calibrate the system to have the concrete at around 90°f.

We should have everything hooked up in the next few weeks, I am curious how well boilers do with Cottonwood and lower quality logs.

I never had boiled log before. lol

You haven’t lived, good sir.

Big twig: Yeah, a friend of mine in Rio Rancho,New Mexico did a floor radiant heater that he used to heat a very large house with. We would take him massive, nasty 4 foot diameter Rio grande Cottonwood logs, he could throw in massive chunks, just barely small enough for him to lift... nasty Elm... don’t matter... used to be super easyFor him to heat that big huge place. I highly recommend the set up.

Jed, how long would a full firebox heat your friend’s house between refills?

90B84C5F-F21A-41B9-890E-E58F51626C8D.jpeg Visual top-view of 30 vs 37 degrees robot ground chain ... hard to show .004 difference in raker height though 😂

Sounds like quite the install man, nice! My buddy has one that he heats his house and hot water,i don't know the btus but it's enough, he burns pretty much everything in it, and it does fine. They do go through some wood tho

In rural/ unincorporated Thurston Co, we can burn a 4×4×4 pile of material from the same site. Not bringing home material to burn.

Unless your outdoor boiler is fire bricked to the bejeesus you WILL go thru prodigious amounts of wood

I get your drift ... 45+face cord a year is a full time job assuming you are harvesting free and clear off your own land ... At 500,000 btu/hr u will consume 12 million btu /day or about 1 PNW full-cord every 2 days (assuming seasoned PNW hardwood and 100% efficiency) ... To feed that dragon and to keep it going plan on loading wood in with a forklift

Last edited:
Big twig: Frankie is from Northern inland New York—read, way,way,way colder than anything that you and I are likely to get into in Northern NM/CO, and for a much longer duration.

Chris Sparks was the name of the very good Texan gentleman that I had the pleasure of working for that year. He was a super good man, but not what you would call the hardest worker in the whole world. I cannot remember the parameters of that fire box, but it was a beast. He had to hoist (The boiler was located in a bit of an outhouse— Funny that you should’ve said 300 feet away,—for, I wanna say that that was about how far his outhouse was away from his house. Unless it was more like 200 feet. Anyways... he had absolutely no problem heating his house that way… The hardest part was physically hoisting the individual chunks over the threshold of the boiler, which (but why was it not just made flush to the ground? “Safety”??) was probably 18 inches high. I guess that WOULD tend to reck a guy’s winter, if he had one too many, and stumbles into his own underground wood boiler. One shudders to think about the possibility of one’s own eternal destiny.

Frankie: Thank you so much for the very in-depth info... I will be pouring over that presently, and then I will probably stumble out into the workshop. Back to work tomorrow, so, other things being equal, I should have a fair shot at the grinder, for the other two chains, but we’ll see. All in Good time, but I promise I won’t lag.

While I wait for this thread's thread to develop further, I will say, Nice moccasins 8)

I like hearing you talk Jed. Very informal and conversational. I wouldn't mind hearing a long form video from you.

Work your magic Jedi ... Stock raker height will be fine (.026) ... When I have all the chains together I’ll shoot a video comparing : 1) stock chain , 2) Frankie racer, 3) John Reilly race chain , 4) Jedi sqr file / grind - if Possible a grind on the 72,84 and Jedi file on the other 72,84 wood be sweet - Vielen Dank !

Back