The Official Work Pictures Thread

Been hanging bird nesting boxes today.
Everything from Titmouse to Kestrel and Owl.

Big (340 acres) solar power plant wanted to appear extra green, by doing something for the birds.

P1070985.JPG

:lol: I wish!

Awsome vid Idea Frankie, but to be clear, I only file/grind work chain, and do not clip the end of my cutters, nor grind and polish my rivets down, nor hollow out my rakers for chip-flow. (All of which even a novice race-chain guy would never dream of foregoing.). I don’t like taking a second longer than I have to, and wouldn’t even file square if I didn’t believe that it regularly shortens an eight hour work day into about 6.5.

But I still say it’s a rad idea for a vid, and I absolutely love pie. Even (thought I will confess it’s my least favorite) Humble Pie.

I watched a guilty of treeson vid where a gent was progressively working round file and he was able to knock a fair percentage of time off the stock - off the roll chain . He started with an Otr’er and made a cut ... Then he dulled the chain , put her in a vise and resharpened with a file guide made a cut and finally resharpened with a file guide and removed the gullet - picked up substantial gains with ver3, iirc something to the tune of 26,then 22,and finally 18.9 sec ... Been telling folk for YEARS that a good muffler mod , intake work and a sharp chain like the fellow in the vid produced - 30-40% is possible , add some “Flow enhancements” and a “hungrier chain” and 50%+ gains are realistically achievable over a dealer bought saw! I use a guide also (forgive me BBR) like the guy in the video - for exactly the same reason ... I get a sharper chain.. favor the 2 in 1 (I have STIHL version , Pferd makes one also ) but I take the raker file out of it and do em with a flat file and the STIHL raker gage , I’m fortunate enough to have a few of the “older version” raker gages , made from hardened German steel , not the Chineseum versions ya get nowadays that force ya to “eyeball” the raker 😂 . I thought that your chain was impressive and you ended up whoopin a cat on his round file with your triangle file sqr/sqr chain that you were kind enough to show the viewer - I’m certain that as a Jedi u could, if u so desired, make a faster chain. A full-out “race chain” from a proven chain-guru , with all the fixins, probably will set a guy back 250-300 buckaroos so I’m not expecting that at all sir. Here’s a pic that JR sent me awhile back ... B1D91933-D7D9-47A0-80BE-EAE60C14333E.jpeg forgive me @Mick! , that is a lot of work

Use guys don’t have leaf-blowers ? I p/u an echo 25cc and did some work to it and it runs like a banshee ... I seldom use a rake and only on wet heavy stuff like bark etc

Sven and you are the MAN! LOVE the Maine tree work shots. Absolutely love em. Gorgeous place you guys live in even if I disagree about raking in the snow. I rather like it. It’s picking that snotty mess up and putting all that heavy stuff into the bucket and thence into the truck which is real, real bad.

Frankie: Yeah brother, thanks for the grace, cause I couldn’t make anything that glorious if my life depended on it. Race grinds like that are finished off on an EXTREMELY fine stone. Takes FOREVER to get an edge without heating up the steel too much. I make square work chains, and I wouldn’t even do that if I thought that round would be faster from A to Z, through a day’s work.

having posted on the beauty of that glorious example that you showed us… I would still venture to say that his side plates look almost a bit too straight up and down, and his top plates look as if they were cut way too thin. And I mean way too thin. If a guy only has to get through three cuts, well then, we might say… Maybe, but where’s the fun in that? Of course, the chrome is the hardest part, but still… To me… That chisel angle looks as if it would be dull from having cut through 2 feet of Douglasfir.

I am trying to get you some chains that will (as far as keeping their edge goes) hold their own in snotty, pounded into the mud Red Oak, and yet outcut it by a good 25 percent; and if that don’t happen brother, BELIEVE me I wanna hear about it, and my precious little ego can take it.

I never have cut any Hickory though. Not once in my life.

Backyard firs today.

3CF53351-E52F-42CE-8F61-D06323CD2241.jpeg 73BDAA6A-72B9-4916-923F-CCB292C6D348.jpeg 027BE797-6084-4C62-A1D6-65BDE645B164.jpeg 5DB04E43-9148-4322-86B7-682ADAE69F86.jpeg 66C79100-FD2B-4B82-839F-791D5DD75B14.jpeg

Good to see you again, Jed. You are a friggin machine! Always love seeing your precise work in such tight quarters. Every single stick is piled exactly where you want it, always perfect! your guys must love working with you. :big-money:

Outcut an off the roll sqr/rnd chain by 25%? ... That is a substantial gain Jed ... We shall see

Use guys don’t have leaf-blowers ? I p/u an echo 25cc and did some work to it and it runs like a banshee ... I seldom use a rake and only on wet heavy stuff like bark etc
Even a Stihl 700 blower won't replace a rake all the time. A 900 might if they made one.

How do the blowers on wheels do? The ones the asphalt guys swear by? I would think that would be awesome, as would the giant broom thing on a piece of equipment to handle the bulk of it.

Took down a couple of shortcakes with Jonny and Ray this morn and bucked some hanger/hazard trees for a 75yr old gent ... He seemed well pleased with the job and even gave us xtra gravy ... 70acres of land and plentiful opportunities ... Looks like we have another customer on the paper route

Back