The Official Work Pictures Thread

What happened to the toe, martial arts?
Some idiot put his elbow in the way of my kick.
Not the first time for me, my right big toe hasn't been broken, that is the only one.
Most have been broken more than once.
Occupational hazard when you turn your feet into weapons:lol:

Mick, it had a bad case of Fomes fomentarius, about 9 feet higher than where Richard cut it, it was totally mushy.

We had told them we'd set a face cut, see how the wood looked and bail out if it was too rotten, then fall it ground level.

I think the combination of size and Fomes was too much for him.

Don't you worry about the back push from the top going over pushing the stump out or breaking the stem lower? Kinda seems crazy to put someones life at risk for some freaking woodpeckers IMO

Sure, you can do it wrong and bring on a (Jerry B) catapult effect.

Just don't hesitate in your backcut.

Nice wide face, a little extra cutting of the hinge as she commits. Lessens the push.

Nice throw Stig. Tell Richard for me.

Bob, you retrenchment that maple beautifully. Hats off mang.

"Retrenchment pruning is a phased form of crown reduction, which is intended to emulate the natural process whereby the crown of a declining tree retains its overall biomechanical integrity by becoming smaller through the progressive shedding of small branches and the development of the lower crown (retrenchment)"

Making a compromised or declining tree smaller and lighter, basically. Also can mean training or reshaping a younger tree to a more suitable form.

Knocked out three of these Oak stumps after work. They were full swing on my little grinder. Half a dozen little pines too. It did awesome. Green Wheel rocks.
19021325_1392870790748858_1725764922_n.jpg

18945121_1392870617415542_1628886173_n.jpg

18985132_1392870594082211_1727247909_n.jpg

Glamorous I know. . . 8)

Nice work, Bob.

A Humboldt undercut really reduces back push on tops etc.

Piece kinda just falls off the stick.

Retrenchment is how the British kept an oak for 600 years. It's the thing to do for perpetuity.

Bravo fellas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Nice work Bob.
Sam stump grinding is not glamorous at all, but can pay the bills.
Reg that just looks nasty! Dusty, dirty, nasty stuff. I don't envy you on that one

I really do try to keep up with my terms and words. Glad I used retrenchment proper.... Maybe I'll take the damn test one day.

Reg, that was a job man. Kudos brother.

Sam: Nice retrechment prune with the stump-grinder. Ohh.... LOVED those pine pics.

BRIAN!!! DANG, sir! WHERE the HECK'ya BEEN! DANG! Been awhile hasn't it???!! Dang. Nice work though. Specially on the roof. Man, you do a good clean-up.

Rich: Can't speak for the true "High Climbers," of Old-Growth lore, but, truth be told... you and Cory and Paul and a lot of ya's would put a ton of us "PNW folk," to shame. Most "Straight-up-and-downs," are pretty easy bro.

Fiona: Nice Eucs!! Gotta love doing a beautiful job.

Bob: Speaking of beautiful!! Man.... (Trying to think of something worth saying)... Nope. Got nuthin. Let me just say this..........................
umm.... You're really good at pruning. Gotta love trees. I challenge anyone on here to tell me that we don't have an awesome job. i LOVE to prue. I'll even do any stinkin hedge they're willing to throw at me. You know what... I take that back. Most hedges DO pretty-much suck.

Paul: WOW. Man!!! You guys are stinkin, pretty good. Dude, I'd pay for a plane-ticket to just watch you guys work sometime.

Uhhh... Here's a bucha randome pics from the last coupla daze. Here's a pine (yes we have the odd Pine here) I ziplined today...
Well. First of all... here's David going up to hack-off a Spruce limb I had been smashing all day...
unnamed-1334.jpg
O.k.... here's my dumb-phone pics...

unnamed-1339.jpg

This thing was almost Stephen size. Look at the size of this limb that I went half-way out to cut!...

unnamed-1340.jpg unnamed-1337.jpg unnamed-1336.jpg
unnamed-1338.jpg

Here's a nasty Maple I had to tie together to fall...

unnamed-1342.jpg unnamed-1341.jpg unnamed-1344.jpg
unnamed-1343.jpg

Here's a nasty Hemlock with an ugly stump that I cut for Corey...

unnamed-1346.jpg unnamed-1345.jpg

Check out how sappy my firewood is. Hopefully I can figure out a way to get this stuff to burn by next winter... heee, hee, he, he, he...

unnamed-1349.jpg unnamed-1347.jpg unnamed-1348.jpg

Ohhh... Mick! Almost forgot... Nice Fir.

Like several others here have mentioned: it's really interesting... the different growth patterns that those pigs over there exhibit. Like Justin mentioned... you'd never, ever (I don't care what open-field that pig was growing in) find limb spacing that tight over here. You'd never even find whorls that tight, and you'd very, very seldom find rings that fat on a firpig on this side of the pond.

Nice work.

Great pics, Reg. Brings to mind some Tahune Airwalk segments, when firewooding the top, but thank the lord you had the adjacent tie in.

Cool run, Jedidiah!

thank the lord you had the adjacent tie in.

Just curious, the other tie-in point for safety...

What happens when you need to use it?

Say, for instance, you're on lanyard, the whole shebang fails and it's heading towards the ground...

What do you do to utilize your 2nd tie-in?

When that happened to me, I sliced my lanyard with my Zubat.

Back