The Official Work Pictures Thread

some abomination nursery made up bullshit tree ...
^^^^^^^
That right there is HILARIOUS!!!

Beautiful tree and picture Bob, it gives immense satisfaction to look at trees one has been caring for for many years doesn't it.

not when you have a crane

Exactly. It depends on what you're set up to handle efficiently. If you have a small truck and chipper then small jobs are more efficient for you. If you have Paul's setup with a crane and massive chipper then utilizing that equipment efficiently will result in many multiples of income compared to the small guy.

Never be afraid of investing in equipment as long as you have a plan to utilize that equipment efficiently.

Meh. I've done several smaller jobs in a day - with a crane and w/o a crane.

Having a crane doesn't mean the small jobs disappear, unless you just don't do them anymore.

Thanks all, for the kind words.

Here’s an update on a little maple I’ve been working on for four years. When I first saw it, my suggestion was replacement. Full of hacked cuts/damaged/crossing branches and no good structure to work with. Owners were told by the nursery that it was a slow grower, which it doesn't seem to be. They weren’t keen on replacing it yet, so I said I’ll see what I can do, but it might take 3-4 years.

IMG_2076.JPG

IMG_3413.JPG

IMG_3416.JPG

IMG_5066.JPG

IMG_6157.JPG

IMG_5488.JPG

I haven't posted anything in this thread for a long time.
Either we haven't done anything worth showing, or I haven't had time to take pictures.

We took a large top out of a dead beech today in the State forest.
They want to keep the trunk for habitat.
It was next to a road, so they wanted it made safe.

Resized_20170606_122508.jpg

A fatty! Did it have a nice lean to the lay or did you pull it? Given the size, I hope the lean was all it required.

Nope, took 3 large branches off to give it lean.
They, of course, fell across the road, so we didn't quite get away without clean-up.
Richard did the cutting, I have a broken toe, that doesn't like getting stuffed into my lineman's boot one bit.

We had agreed to do the tree last fall, then when I got sick, they asked another local guy arbo for a price.
He took one look at it and said, no way.
Too big a top for his taste.
So they waited for us to get around to doing it.
Stuff like that does good for our reputation.:lol:

Can you imagine getting a call about dropping a big top like that (even if you had to take a few branches off to weight it right) and turning it down because it's too much?

Back