The Official Work Pictures Thread

Lots of interesting info in that run of posts.

Nice vid Rich but I have a Q- can you stow the saw one handed while gripping the handle rather than the biner?
thanks

I guess you could if it was more rigid, as Sean mentioned as well.

Sean, I do the same as you. Toss the saw a bit and catch the lanyard. Usually right after the crab.

My 150 just has a short strap and a ring no lanyard. Finish the cut grab the strap feel the ring swing back and clip. To unclip, fingers grab the strap under the ring, thumb opens the gate, up and out.

Anyone else on here stow their saw by the side handle? I find it the easiest on and off, and no fumbling around. Already holding the top handle, reach back and rack the side handle.

Chain points up and out, I find it's usually easier to navigate canopies with it that way. Muffler is on the opposite side, away from you. Give it a try, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised

Last day at the horse ranch for a while. Mistletoe and hazard dead prune in a blue oak at one of the entrances.
Asked the HO to scrape all the horse dung out away from the tree to make clean up easier. Mistletoe is bad for Horses. SO we had to try and get every leaf I removed. Tons of dead wood in it as one of the tops was laid over other limbs, broken from last winters storms. Thank the tree gods I only had to remove the 2" plus.
He also took it upon him self to prune some rather large limbs with his loader :|: Mercy.
Before.. IMG_0481.JPG IMG_0482.JPG IMG_0484.JPG IMG_0483.JPG IMG_0485.JPG IMG_0488.JPG IMG_0487.JPG IMG_0488.JPG IMG_0489.JPG

So what did UK Rich do to his hand?? Whatever it was, best of luck with the recovery mate.

Maximalist: Thank you very much for ALL of your posts. I always feel like I am learning from an extremely tough man when I see your work.

Jerry: I deserve neither your nor Stig’s praises, and both you guys know it. Pouring through the “fallin” pictures of the Fundamentals book... now there’s where a man can just get lost. That pic of the double-cut that you did with the 056... don’t pretend that you don’t know which one I mean... DUDE!!! A guy can actually SEE where theradius of the bar tip has maxed out on either side of the face so that there is actually a micro center-post left. I tell you: if we leave women out of the question, I have never seen anything so beautiful in my entire life.

Corey: Yeah, last Saturday my daughter oldest daughter went to Salmon days with her buddies, so my wife told me to go have fun at Gordy’s. Hadn’t seen Jake in a bit, and it was rad. I make crummy hinges all the time. Like when I’m rushing to get something on the ground with a less than critical shot. To wit:

View attachment 114989
View attachment IMG_2305.MOV

Attachments

• 0CC7BA68-F5B5-431F-975F-FA1CA5AB6658.jpeg
    0CC7BA68-F5B5-431F-975F-FA1CA5AB6658.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 21
  • E567D8EE-0B99-47BC-BCAF-ACE0E01E9ACE.jpeg
    E567D8EE-0B99-47BC-BCAF-ACE0E01E9ACE.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 21
Last day at the horse ranch for a while. Mistletoe and hazard dead prune in a blue oak at one of the entrances.
Asked the HO to scrape all the horse dung out away from the tree to make clean up easier. Mistletoe is bad for Horses. SO we had to try and get every leaf I removed. Tons of dead wood in it as one of the tops was laid over other limbs, broken from last winters storms. Thank the tree gods I only had to remove the 2" plus.
He also took it upon him self to prune some rather large limbs with his loader :|: Mercy.
Before..View attachment 114974View attachment 114975View attachment 114976View attachment 114977View attachment 114978View attachment 114979View attachment 114980View attachment 114981View attachment 114982
Loader pruning...'eff me, that's an ouchie :).

Last edited:
I have had more than a plenty of occasions to carry a shorty felling axe aloft, when topping trees for wildlife habitat prescriptions.

My first attempt was to drill a 3/8" diameter hole in the handle near the end and tie a 3 or 4 inch loop of paracord through it. Then clip to a biner on my saddle.

That sucked the hairy moose lips. The damn thing swung all over hell and gone, like to cut my harness, or leg, in two. A sheath kept the cutting danger at bay, but the swinging weight and the snagging still sucked.

So I girth hitched a short sling under and over the head, and hung it from there. Hardly any swing, all the weight was up close to my harness. That was the best solution for me.

Jed, I suspect, experiences something similar, clipping into that loop welded to the axe head. Not great, but better than all the other options.

I find the girth hitch to be one of the most useful knots out there.

Back