The Official Work Pictures Thread

Wizard stuff you doin' there, bro! Good video. It crossed my mind to ask you to show that but you being pitiful and injured and all, I just let it slide. :D

That wrist roll to free the saw is what I thought you meant but it is cool to see it in action. Guess you are not so pitiful after all....(I just used 3 dots for drama...)

The hand looks like it's coming along. Hoorah.

Thanks. The hand is coming along nicely.

I went to see a new physio earlier this week and sent of the surgeons report.

Having read that, she had prepared for the worst, expecting me to have a bunch of bananas for a hand. She was very surprised at the healing process.

We did some measurements with a hand grip dynamometer. I squeezed just over 80 lbs with my damaged hand. Which is pretty poor tbh. She said it was quite good and average is about 110lbs. She then checked the left hand, 150+ lbs. the physio had never seen anyone squeeze over 130 lbs before. So I guess there is a bit of work still to do but overall she is happy with the dexterity amd general function. Just gotta get the grip strength back up.

She was absolutely horrified when I told her I had started Muay Thai training again, so I justified her shock by saying, I was giving BJJ a bit longer. 🤪

141CB165-3BA9-4D6D-9F3D-881AEC97036C.png

What are you at now Kyle?

I have done those tests hundreds of times. I studied Exercise Physiology at College and University. We tested ourselves loads. I was playing a lot of rugby growing up and had a good grip. Plus 20 years of tree climbing and then a few years of BJJ. The grip was bound to be good.

Probably the most influential factors is having genes from the North East of England. Northerners are renowned for not wanting to spend money.

Hence, being called a tight arsed Northerner.

I guess I live up to the stereotype. 😂

PS. I can’t wait to be back contributing to this thread with some proper tree work picture. 😁

Funny Rich cos my grip is the most noticeable sign of declining power.
Holding à topper horizontal one handed preparing for a back cut is getting harder and harder.

With a grip like that Rich, does that make you a genuine tight fisted wanker 😆

Sure does Pete. Reminds me of that joke. Why do Scotsmen have Blue Dicks? Because they are a tight fisted wankers!

It has also been noted that the particular Gene I mentioned (which you have as well Pete) causes “Deep Pocket and Short Arm syndrome”

😂

Thanks, Rich.
A carabiner like that will be added to my climbing saw lanyard.

I friggin' love this place, learn so much :)

I started using one as I was lazy and used a topper on the ground. I cut through so many lanyards so added the crab to make it easier to take off the saw. The added benefit, as long at the bina is big enough, you can easily change to rear handled saws.

I'm not sure my grip strength now, i was cleared a long time ago from pt so I'm not sure what it is now. I think i was back up to around 100 lbs or so when i was done with therapy, but I'm sure I'm better than that now. I'm also sure I'm not back to where i was, everyday has been a battle simply working as a fitter not even trying to do tree work, which I've kinda slowed down on this summer til I'm better. Getting stronger everyday tho, I'm now starting to be stronger than some of the guys i work with again (pulling pipe wrenches, etc) so that's promising. I've got tree jobs lined up but I've decided that I'm gonna finish my chipper winch and gin pole for the trailer before i do any more, grunting stuff with carts and arches was fine before but moving forward I'm at least going to have a winch on the job. It just takes time to heal, and i will need to start lifting again to really get back to what i consider where i should be. Right now I'm still trying to get thru a workday without pain, and have some gas left in the tank after work so i can/ want to do stuff when i get off.

Lots of interesting info in that run of posts.

Nice vid Rich but I have a Q- can you stow the saw one handed while gripping the handle rather than the biner?
thanks

Was it a battle getting your machine fixed re the post and pic you made a few days ago

Nice. Was anything holding it back like a lock ring or something, or was it just crazy tight?

Machinists are bad ass.

@Maximalist

I be been off work so long I couldn’t find my usual saw lanyard.

Probably in the bottom of a bag somewhere.

Anyway, I found a similar sized krab and an lanyard and did a wee demo.

Bare in mind that is my frigged hand that I am using.

Rich, have you considered making that carabiner rigid-ish to the saw, allowing you to hold the top- handle and push the carabiner into the caritool, and retrieve it from the caritool.

The cool kids like August Hunicke, IIRC, are doing it ( look at his videos if you don't know what i mean).

I toss my saw up a little, grab the lanyard, let gravity pull the lanyard ring to my hand, and hang the ring on my carabiner with one hand.

I grab the lanyard ring with one hand, and open the carabiner gate with the ring when I want to work.

I don’t rage against the dying of the light Burnham, just pleased I’m still in the game at my age.

As well you should be, my friend.

This damn arthritis in my hands has really begun to curdle my cream...grab a glass bowl off the shelf, lift it a bit, and lightning bolts of pain run through my thumb...sometimes. I never know when it will happen. I have dropped a few things accidentally in the last several months, broken one nice coffee carafe.

Sux.

Back