The Official Work Pictures Thread

Dude, no, I never toss em until, (if it’s Stihl chain) it is down to the lazer engraved witness mark.

I’m gonna (cause I’m super judgey like that) blame wonkey rails way before I blame the chain. Has a guy closed his rails? Has he filed them down even?
If the answer is “yes,” then it has come down to what Stumper has called a “Bumfuzzler.” Now the Bumfuzzler is a terribly elusive creature on par with many other cryptozoological animals such as the Chupacobra, or Loch Nessy. It basically happens when the bar rails are so uneven for so long that the blessed undersides of the blessed tie-straps (links) begin to become uneven themselves, because of the uneven wear that the janky bar was producing. At this point, a guy replaces his bar (at great expense) but then uses his old chain on it (because he has just sharpened it in an effort to get his saw cutting straight) and darn-near rips his hair out of his head because his chain still binds in the cut do to the fact (and perhaps unbeknownst to him!:O) that the undersides of his tie-straps/links/riders are unevenly worn. This is Stumper’s Bumfuzzler, and I am here to tell ya that it can darn near send a grown man home in something resembling a bad mood—dead serious.

Wife: “what’s wrong honey?” You: “Nothing.”

I need to lose at least one tooth before I consider a chain "done". It then gets saved for a death run through a stump or some other kind of really crappy work. It's then truly done.

Yah Jed ... Just corresponded with a certain wasasquatch on Instagram ... He is of the opinion that shims under the motor and a square-up of the machine will alleviate the issues ... Thanks for the update - gotta few more ash to do , I’ll shoot a video of the chains whenever they arrive ... Thanks for your efforts , too bad the machine is doing it’s “Christine” imitation

Jed, I also strive to get to the laser mark before retiring a chain.

yeah, stumper's bumfuzzler about covers it I guess. I have little hair left to rip out so if a good cutting chain starts to act up, I'll file approx twice more and if it still won't toe the line, I toss it , with prejudice

I still have a hard time using a grinder. Had a crew leader ask me to show him how to use it because he didn’t have time to hand file on the job. I showed him but asked how long he cut with a dull chain. Taking 5,10,15, even 20 minutes to sharpen a chain, can save an hour or more out of a ten hour day.

Reactions: Jed
I don't know how anyone could be a grinder only guy. I hate swapping chains, and some days I'm almost constantly sharpening due to gnarly wood. It would take a reel of a chain to get through the day, and I'd be rewarded by a couple hours of grinding after work.

Aside from that, I like being able to carry everything I need in my pocket, and it's more elegant doing it by hand. Maybe less repeatable if one isn't that good/careful, but it just means you need to get better, and will if you keep at it.

Reactions: Jed
Got rid of the compression release valve and installed a plug on the 572xp. Was starting to seep around the valve. Supposedly a .2hp gain is realized after installation of the plug 6CF493D0-48A2-4034-B2EA-641954EE6104.jpeg

You’d think 150 watts of power leaking through the comp release valve would be noticeable on the operator’s hand/the plastic.

Hotsaws101 uses em (the plugs) on his builds as does Donny Walker (walkerized saws) ... nuff said

So you just pull the compression release and install a plug? I could do that with my 362 and my brushcutter. I don't use the decomp on either of them. I'd still want it on my 661 I think.

Could be. It's there, so I'll use it though. Without the decomp, I'm not sure I could pull it over in the mill without damaging something.

You’d think 150 watts of power leaking through the comp release valve would be noticeable on the operator’s hand/the plastic.
Noticeable, I don't know. Not by me that's sure. But in a timed cut, that should show.
When you are pushing the engine at the extrem to find a few % more of power, every bit in your favor counts. This one seems like an easy gain. More, it could avoid to cancel some of your efforts to improuve the other points.

That had to take some man hours to accomplish ... betcha have a sore back after that ! Now that your pockets are bursting with gold it might be time to step up to a 572xp Hotwoods ported light-saber ... I let member Jonny do some fellin and Buckin with it last week for about a tank o fuel. He liked it .... It is one heckuva smooth running unit - long days of cutting are no problem to the hands wrists and forearms

Back