The Official Work Pictures Thread

Great pics, Pat

Rich, what's the plan for the trunk wood?

Thanks.
@cory I’m gonna rig down as low as I can. There is a small area in the back corner that I’m going to toss quartered cookies into. Plywood against the house and fence and thinking of busting open a few straw bales to dampen the impact. Red maple so I might go out to the garage and make a pass on the rakers of two different new chains. Probably not though as I still need to hang ropes to dry and I’m a bit tired.

Actually I just had a bite to eat and a cigar and now I’m going to split it with Fiskars 8lb maul until dark ... 3 face/day cut/split is a cakewalk for me now that the vigor has returned ... I did have a 58yr old concrete guy help me with the red oak and he was whooped after 4 face cord ... lotta ooo,ahh,eee, ohs comin from him... He agreed it’s more work than concrete and I STIHL think it WAY more work than felling trees despite what our resident guru @stig believes
It's dark, lets see all the wood split, now, pic in the dark with flash, not finished up tomorrow. It took long enough to show the picture of the easy part (cutting).

I "wood" have not wasted "coin" on the KE splitter, so I could have a vertical one all the time. You can upgrade to a high flow pump for fast cycle times, and still don't have to lift wood onto it. Complete with a 4 way splitting head, and you can get a lotta work done quickly.

... A hydraulic splitter with a 4 way wedge will never, in a million years, outproduce a stock SuperSplit (let alone this unit you see here) whilst costing considerably more initially and during its lifespan with fuel , and maintenance. You simply cannot beat a kinetic splitter for speed - dollar for dollar kinetic trumps hydraulic every time ... Anyone who believes otherwise either hasn’t done their homework or is in need of a checkup from the neck up .... touché

I see...no pic of your "lotta work" all split.

A hydro splitter makes up for it with all the big wood I split. I don't mess with just baby rounds, or bending over a lot for that matter as I sit in front of the splitter doing everything upright. Get the edge geometry right, and you can save a lot of time using a very short stroke length. I don't have the angle I'd like on my splitter wedge, but I can still get away with about a 6" stroke length, so I'm not waiting on a full cycle each time.

Great job obviously and a super ALAP stump for icing on the cake. :thumbup:

Oh, since this is a work pictures thread:

1608778032669.jpeg

11 minutes to grind the stump flush and shove the chips out of the way. There is a water meter under the black valve box, with the water main somewhere under the stump.
1608778064760.jpeg

9m more to grind the stump to a ~1' depth.
1608778178220.jpeg

I'd whack about 16 inches off of that with a big saw before grinding, if it was me.

Edit...stump in the first pic, Carl.

But your beast might make that a poor choice :).

I'd whack about 16 inches off of that with a big saw before grinding, if it was me.

Edit...stump in the first pic, Carl.

But your beast might make that a poor choice :).

We (Treesmith) talked about cutting it off but didn't. I figure it'll make for good pictures/video for marketing, and I'm being well compensated.

I cut them low if I am the one hauling the grindings! Otherwise save a chain and let the big track grinder do it’s thing. Moving a full density round of wood is less work than loading a lot of chips and soil.

The only cutting happening here today has been my annual Christmas haircut. Karen has been cutting my hair for years. Saves a ton o’ money.

I'm due. I've been cutting my own during Corona. Once, I had help, but she was very timid about screwing it up. Guess that makes sense...she has to look at it, not moi.

That's the one huge thing I've noticed during this covid thing, more and more people are doing things the old ways, especially with cooking. I think I'm even gonna try my hand at making simple cheeses from the milk the kids are drinking less and less of. The wife had just about mastered the typical fade haircut before it all fell out, even doing the kids with the addition of a sucker to keep them still for 5 minutes.

Back