The Official Work Pictures Thread

So am I to take it that you are the fat frig who waddles around and, truth be told, can't fall trees for shit?

Impressive!

Keep up the good work, dude.
No ... the fat Guy in the vid is Harvey ... He’s about 100mi from me as the crow flies ... He also has an ironhorse and does old school horse logging

Lotta work @ Burnham ... too bad it’s all balsa wood ! :painting:

I dunno about that...

This site says Douglas Fir has higher BTU per cord than Northern Red Oak. I don't know if that's true. About half of what's in my sheds is Bigleaf Maple...it also compares favorably with Red Oak, from what I read. Again, I don't have any way to compare.
Firewood BTU Ratings – World Forest Industries

Is ropework an added value you provide, or is it SOP for industrial welding?

The alternative was to have scaffold built, then adjusted, almost daily because the welds were all at staggered height. And even with that, it was going to be a nightmare because they wanted tig roots, which of course needed to be done in a mirror and by shoving yourself in between the pipes. So i decided doing everything on rope would be better, for me, and as the foreman and the welder that's what i did 🤣. It honestly saved a ton of time and work, because i could get at the perfect height without any bending. We could get the lift close, but not close enough to actually do the work, but all the stuff could be on the lift and i would just swing over as needed. I also bolted on some unistrut to use as a step.

Yup, and i drug up right after that job too :lol: i was trained well by very talented craftsmen, and had a good work ethic beat into me my whole life. There's plenty that are far better than me, but i don't think I've ever showed up on a job and the guys were like "damnit not this guy" :lol:

Made the company buy it, and the other gear, so no hahahahahaha. The money saved on scaffold easily covered the cost, and i ended up doing a bunch more rope work for them later. Also since it was tig root and 7018 fill/ cap, there's very little sparks, so i was good. I was repairing welds that didn't pass xray, because the foreman and higher ups didn't realize that they were required to be xray. We had a milling machine that clamped on the pipe and machined out the bad weld, and then you cleaned it up, got it lined up again, and off to the races. Lots of really tight areas, bent rods, and welding in a mirror. I think i did around 60 welds there, at the end to hit deadlines on a shutdown we had a few other welders out there too, maybe 100 welds total.

I dunno about that...

This site says Douglas Fir has higher BTU per cord than Northern Red Oak. I don't know if that's true. About half of what's in my sheds is Bigleaf Maple...it also compares favorably with Red Oak, from what I read. Again, I don't have any way to compare.
Firewood BTU Ratings – World Forest Industries
Douglas Fir > Red Oak for Firewood ??? I find that hard to believe sir - I know that a face cord of red oak is gonna be hundreds of pounds heavier the a face of Douglas balsa , I mean fir ... Big leaf maple is better but still not quite there imho ... Everything You Need to Know About Oregon Firewood - https://www.arborpronw.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-oregon-firewood/ ...

I just read the info off the first seemingly worthwhile online site I found with a simple search engine. I don't make any claim that it's gospel.

I actually agree with you Frankie, it seems unlikely. But that's just exactly what it says. Read my post...I expressed no confidence in the data first off.

I've looked at some other sources since then, and really, the numbers attributing BTUs/cord are all over the map, for all species.

I know for sure from long experience that oldgrowth Doug fir carries far more BTUs to the cord than second or third growth. Bigleaf maple the same, to an even greater degree. I doubt it's a lick different with eastern hardwoods. So these numbers are fraught with inexactness, totally dependent on individual conditions of the wood sampled to get those numbers.

Lastly...your pissant non-specific little face cord assertions are worth nothing as a unit of measurement. Use a real measurement all professionals acknowledge...a full cord, exactly 128 cubic feet. Doing anything else is just making noise.

Yah , no one gets 128 cu ft ! Unless it’s cut as a giant block out of an immense trunk ! CSS you’re lucky to get 90 cu ft (airspace , irregularities in wood) ... Legal Face cord is 1/3 of a full cord and is a 4x8 by 16” minimum here in WNY ... It appears that wood density varies and thus btu , however , Doulas Fir is simply not > Red Oak in any way , shape or form as fuel / firewood ! Good day sir

While processing firewood is a lot of grunt work you can do very well for yourself provided you possess the necessary equipment and most importantly a good engine ... Strength and stamina are needed in large quantities if you are going to produce at a level to profit nicely ... Anyone can bust their c..k for 15minutes ...... Can you do it for 4+ hrs and (given rest) wake up the next day rinse and repeat ? If not then doing it “old-school “ by hand / hand tools might not be for a guy ... Guy up the road owns a tire business and processes logs into usable product. He easily sells 2500 face+/ yr at 100 a face ... Log processor makes about 10face/hour and a conveyor makes piles that dwarf whatever meager amounts shown here ! If logs cost 40/ face and You sell for $100 that’s 60/face (minus cost of fuel , maintenance, upkeep etc) profit .... Even after all’s said and done if ya net $35/face (not unreasonable) and machine produces 10face plus that’s good $$$ , especially for “unskilled work” ... The “skilled work” is being able to design , fabricate , machine, weld etc to keep “SUGAR” runnin like a well oiled machine

Last time I checked, 4 hours of work was called “part time”.

If you can do Firewood by hand 8hrs a day , then put another in 8-12hrs shift at the plant and get sufficient rest then God Bless You ... I’m not f’n Superman but I’ll work circles around some of the festering turds that inhabit my area

Yah , no one gets 128 cu ft ! Unless it’s cut as a giant block out of an immense trunk ! CSS you’re lucky to get 90 cu ft (airspace , irregularities in wood) ... Legal Face cord is 1/3 of a full cord and is a 4x8 by 16” minimum here in WNY ... It appears that wood density varies and thus btu , however , Doulas Fir is simply not > Red Oak in any way , shape or form as fuel / firewood ! Good day sir
And the most retarded post of the day goes to...... what the serious fuckity frig planet are you from?

Good day now for me, is when you are outta here sir!
I have NEVER used the iggy button inmy tenure here, but you sir, have my finger twitching. You and Murph seem to try and reach new heights of pure rude stupidity.
I friggen damn well know what measurements for wood are legal by weights and measures standards.
Good day and good riddance. images (1).jpeg

If we're going to put up with braggadocio and rude nastiness, I'd rather see it from an honest to goodness tree man like Rico than someone's who splits firewood

100% growing conditions dictate BTU output. Bet NY red oak pales in comparison to good ol coastal Maine red oak.

All I need to know is that our Vermont Castings "Defiant" stove, running on a full load of Maclura pomifera or Robinia Pseudoacacia is a very nice, hot, long-lasting fire.
Other species are fine, too, as the stove automagically adjusts the air flow, though with poplar and less-dense woods you are reloading he firebox more often.
I have never fired it up with Doug fir... no need with all the hardwoods here in the East.

I daresay how dry the wood is at the time of burning would make a huge difference as well. I’ve heated most of my life with green wood. When I do have dry, it makes all the difference.

All wood produces roughly the same btu per pound . As firewood is sold by volume ; (WNY face cord 4x8x16” or for those who reside in the land of fruits and nuts 3 WNY facecord = 4x8x4 Full cord ) NOT weight , assuming the wood is seasoned equally the wood that weighs the most is going to give you the most btu and thus the most heat .... The laws of physics apply regardless of ones personal opinions - be it Firewood or hot-rodding chainsaws .... good day and Merry Christmas or whatever u celebrate

Oh i completely understand why you would burn wood for heat, I'm installing a wood stove myself right now in between chemo. I'm just very impressed with the neat and orderly stacking in dedicated wood sheds, most guys i know just use a splitter and make a huge pile, then use a loader to move it around. The whole burn gas not ass thing, which I'm a huge fan about.

Is this " Burn gas not ass" enough for you Kyle?
Or I can post a picture next time Line is around.
She just upgraded to a Ponsse Buffallo, that should be big enough for you :lol:

P1070488.JPG P1070494.JPG P1070488.JPG P1070494.JPG

Lastly...your pissant non-specific little face cord assertions are worth nothing as a unit of measurement. Use a real measurement all professionals acknowledge...a full cord, exactly 128 cubic feet. Doing anything else is just making noise.

I realize it is a typo.
You did, of course, mean to write cubic meter :P

Back