The Official Work Pictures Thread

Plan is to stop being “Dad” to a bunch of entitled meth heads who don’t give a shit about anyone else in their lives.
im going to focus on Ropetek again. Have some pretty exciting products I want to get out. That and actually spend some time with my kids. For the past 15years I’ve done nothing but work

The vid won't play for me, any one got an idea?

How does the buyer feel about being the new babysitter? So often it seems, if a tree biz doesn't do spraying, it's hard to get much for their business when selling.

@stig - not knowing anything about manufacturing in Denmark, can you elaborate on what does occur there? Seems like biomass is still strong (wish it was here)...are there any high end milling operations going on?

We don't export softwood, don't even grow enough of that to fill the market here, so we import some.
All of thgat is milled locally.
We have way more Beech than we can use ourselves, so a lot of that is exported.
The part that goes to Asia ( China and Vietnam, mostly) goes out as whole logs, export to Europe is milled here.
We have a local mill that has specialized in vacuum drying it. That keeps it really light in color.
They ship to all of Western Europe and even sell some to Japan.

Biomass is a big deal, we've converted a bunch of powerplants from coal to biomass, so that market is booming.
Right now the Germans are selling woodchips very cheaply. The 2017 drought killed some 267000 hectares of forest in the Hartz mountains.
So that has lowered prices somewhat for now.

Them Hartz mountains loggers be some cutting fools right about now :drink:

yeah, it's pretty crappy but does make decent coals for actually cooking on . We focus on the bark for that.

We heat and cook entirely with wood. Cottonwood is one of my favorites! When using it, it is dead easy to keep the oven at 350 which happens to coincide with most things we cook in there. It also works great for holding an overnight fire without getting the house too warm. Always a nice bed of coals in the morning for a fast restart.

We heat and cook entirely with wood. Cottonwood is one of my favorites!

That is very cool. And you know what they say- One man's trash is another man's treasure!

Do you get all your wood from your tree jobs? How do you split it and how much do you use per year. Just curious, danks

Yes, Cory, all the wood we use comes from our tree jobs. Not really sure on how much we use. It's kind of hard to calculate when you never stop. It is a lot though.
A hydraulic splitter gets it to fire box size.

We worked out a system that is productive and very financially beneficial. We don't own any iron for wood moving, so if people want us to take the wood, it gets cut on site and is a charged to them for the additional time it takes. What we get is a large pile of precut firewood that can just sit and dry until needed. A quick stop at the splitter, and straight into the wheelbarrow. Very little processing to go from stack to stove.

What we get is a large pile of precut firewood that can just sit and dry until needed.

Fine system indeed.

I've always felt fw doesn't dry much when simply bucked to length, gotta be split to start drying, what is your experience with that?

I just bought a moisture meter online, never used one, anyone like em?

Well it takes longer but it will dry while still in log form, at least here it will. Only 9" to 12" of precipitation in our area.

Still, I do always try to allow some air time for the split wood I stack on the front deck before it needs to be used.

And here, too.

It's very interesting, Dave. Cottonwood in my woodstove (well cured), just burned away in very short order, left a ton of ash, and made no coals to last more than an hour or two, at best.

Back