The Official TreeHouse Martial Arts Thread!

Soft target...hard weapon. Hard target...soft weapon.

Open hand shots can be useful. Many martial arts systems consider the open hand superior to the fist.

That is the Go-Ju also known as hard -soft philosophy of karate.

against a sword or knife, stepping off line is smarter thanmeeting it head on.

But then I don't need to tell you that:)

You ever do any Lethwei Gary? As part of the bando training?

The story of the roots of Thailands independence is based on a captured Thai who fights a number of Burmese warriors for a bet to win his and his countries freedom.

That like a gamble in South East Asia.

We trained at my friends place this morning and going back for a second session this afternoon. We got there at 7am and the fighters got back from their 12km run at 7.30 ish. (Glad I missed that)

Warmup, bag work and then technical training for an hour or so with 10 press ups between rounds. Then 300 knees and about 300 sit-ups.

The gym is pretty rural and off the beaten track. Fighting cockerels everywhere and a couple of Thai ladies cooking for the fighters and trainers. My mate lives off site but the trainers live in the gym.

It was great apart from the few hundred mozzies due to the stagnant water in the area. Suppose you can't get more traditional than that ;)

We are going back about 3 pm for more fun and then eating at the gym this evening. I'll try and get some snaps.

They had a few fans going. I was training with a pad man today and kept trying to make my way towards the fans... he has probably seen it 1000 times before and was having none of it.

These two were at it today. The pad man was the one who beasted me. The other guy is training for a fight this weekend.

More power... seems to be the moto.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhG7j2Nnxzh/?taken-by=kiatphontipgym

Cheers Jim.

My mates sister in law cooks the food at the gym. We stayed tonight for dinner. Home cooked thai food by a thai. I have eaten my fair share of very hot and spicy this break.

Even got my kids into it. Torstein my youngest ordered Thai Green curry last saturday. The waiter had the chef make it mild. He laughed when Torstein asked if he could have some more chilli to make it hotter. Haha.

The humidity is the killer. I thought we had it bad leaving Norway at -19C and arriving to 31c. There are two Canadian there. One of them arrived from Manitoba 2 days ago to Bangkok's heat. -28c when he left to about +36c. he is finding it a bit tough.

Butch, they should call it Laos Stick these days as most, if not all is grown there and shipped over the border. Thailand is going through a Meth problem. They have sent one of the boxer to a hardcore trainer out in the sticks. The kid is 19 and on the verge of becoming a Bangkok champion.

Apart from the fact when he isn't fighting he keeps running away from the gym and getting fuked up on Meth.

No letwei for me. My teacher fought letwei when he lived in Burma...40s and 50s. When he brought the system to USA they watered it down for the states. Dr. Maung GyI introduced kickboxing to USA in late 50s, early 60s. Nothing near as brutal as letwei.

Some of our guys still train kickboxing...I train Middle Style (blows, holds, throws) and animal style...Panther System.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow, loving these posts from Thighland (lol The Hangover movie).

That instagram post was savage. I suspect those folks feel zero need for grappling skills when they can mow down most folks like a chainsaw through cardboard, but just wondering if they acknowledge the world of grappling or do they view it as unnecessary.

Stand up grappling or clinch is all they do.

I had to explain to one guy today that an old injury was hurting. I was saying to him your job is to fight and train people... my job is to cut down trees.

He couldn't understand the concept so I showed him some photos and I think he got the jist of things. He seemed impressed at the tree climbing.

What impresses me though is the fact they will train hard for a week to 10 days before a big fight. Then go out there and totally smash it!

The general level of fitness these guys have is outstanding.

Cory, check out some of the other clips in the Instagram page for Kiatphontip gym. Some of it is just outstanding.

I will Rich, I clicked follow for them.

Re fitness, yes they seem like machines!

Went to one of the oldest stadiums in Bangkok last night to watch some fights. Rajadamnern Stadium. Pretty big show with quite a few decent matchups. One knockout and stretchered off and the rest went to the judges decision.

The crowd and the betting process is pretty frantic but fun to watch and hear.

A couple of pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_7833.jpg
    IMG_7833.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7810.jpg
    IMG_7810.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7814.jpg
    IMG_7814.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7820.jpg
    IMG_7820.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7834.JPG
    IMG_7834.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 23
Hi Rich. The show was a completely wild night out with the boys. Conor's retarded antics reduced the show from 13 fights down to 9, and 3 of those lost fights were to be good ones. 2 fighters had to withdraw after getting cut by flying glass when (likely coked-out) Conor threw the dolly thru the bus window. But nevertheless a good card was salvaged and the fights were good. Khabib proved once again he is a complete beast. If Conor steps up to fight Khabib in Russia, ita be the biggest ufc fight ever and I believe Conor will get turned every way but loose by khabib, but of course many people think Conor will KO khabib so therein lies the intrigue.

Between the good Brooklyn crowd (met a lot of fun and cool people who came in from all over for the fights (miami, Los Angeles, England) and the crazy squad of current and former employees of my tree company that we rolled in with, it was an awesome night, tons of laughs, gallons of beer, and way better than watching from the couch.

Got home at 4.30 am and now I'm staring 10 appts in the face. Living the dream!!;)

Yeah man it was a freakin hoot and a half. Forgot to mention the shots of Hennessy that went down the hatch, too.

And btw, the NYC infrastructure just blows my mind clean away- the utterly massive buildings and bridges, and the giant cranes everywhere. The massive Hudson river flowing through it all. The scale is just unbelievably impressive to me.

I know you've said you've been there, Jim, otherwise I would insist you go check it out. Even though your life is the vast wide open spaces, people that can appreciate engineering and construction and forces of nature and the tenacity, resourcefulness, and intelligence of mankind, those people will appreciate the jaw dropping spectacle that is NYC.

Nice Cory. Sounds like you had a sweet night. Coke sounds about right... for Conor that is. A few guys I know from snowboard g are from the same area as him and they say he is rolling with some of the biggest wrong'uns around.

Last session done for us in Bangkok. Man I love this gym. Amazing food and people. Great trainers who push you enough to be frigged but not demoralised. Learnt a ton. Had some great sparring and Haakon really enjoyed himself.

Only downside to it was a few of the trainers got a really bad stomach bug and were away from the gym for the last few days. Hope they recover soon.

As a little reminder of the place we had shorts made up by the owner of the gym.

I will be coming back to this place for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_7844.jpg
    IMG_7844.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7852.jpg
    IMG_7852.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7851.jpg
    IMG_7851.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7853.jpg
    IMG_7853.jpg