The Official TreeHouse Martial Arts Thread!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How bout the old guy to Haakon's right- he's tiny but would probably kick most folks ass into next week?!?

I didn't fully understand about you getting your arse handed to you and being just a source of revenue.

And falang=foreigner?

Farang is foreigner, falang is how they say it as they cannot pronounce the 'r'.

What I meant was I reckon they went easy on us in sparring as 'Falang no good'. They let you have a bit of the upper hand then just turn it on and you find yourself on your butt. Especially in the clinch, mainly through there superior technique.

As for the money thing, as we finished the last session, we took a few pictures and then said our good byes and then a tour group turned up. They were immediately into them as they were with us when we first arrived. Whereas when I have spent times with other Thai trainers from my friends gym there is a bit more sincerity with them. I suppose it is there jobs and people come and go all the time.

Maybe that comment was a bit off but that is how it felt. They really don't have a pot to piss in apart from the owner, so I guess it is there job to be keen at first and then move on.

Cory, that little dude was hilarious. He was from Myanmar and kept on about how he only spoke Burmese. Yet all the time explaining it in English and telling jokes and play fighting with the little ones.

I am really looking forward to the next place as I know a few of the trainers and owner pretty well. The training will be hard but it is a real family atmosphere there and everyone is welcomed the same.

Thanks Stig. I hope both Haakon and Torstein remember it in years to come. :)

They let you have a bit of the upper hand then just turn it on and you find yourself on your butt.

When I was into it, Thursday night was sparring night and that was exactly what the black belts would do.

Ouch!

Thanks for the info, Rich, makes sense.

Great saga, keep it up!

Hey fwiw, I've been a long time ufc fan and I'm going to my first event next weekend, ufc in Brooklyn, khabib v ferguson for the '55 strap, should be epic. Great overall card which includes Paul Felder v Raging Al Iaquinta. I'm going with my guys from work, one of whom has a 3-3 amateur mma record. I've mentioned him here and there many times, the dude is a damn ninja and strong as an ox, fights at featherweight (145). One tiny story from last week: our metal rakes have a steel wing nut which helps hold the head to the wooden handle, one of em was loose so I tightened as hard as I could with my fingers. I give the rake to him and say I just tightened this as much as I could, think you can turn it more? He takes it and turns a full half turn more then gets ready to turn it further and I grab the rake back from him saying gimme that you're going to break the damn thing. Also, we had a bad noreaster here a couple weeks ago, been dealing with hundreds or thousands of hangers. This kid has won more free beer by ripping down hangers by hand or with a pole saw that I would have absolutely sworn would need to be cut to get down. 8)

Cory, that little dude was hilarious. He was from Myanmar and kept on about how he only spoke Burmese. Yet all the time explaining it in English and telling jokes and play fighting with the little ones.

Myanmar = Burma = Lethwei = 9 limb fighting (Burma includes head butts)

Thailand = Muay Thai = 8 limb fighting

The border bouts between Thai and Burmese fighters each year are legendary.

The Burmese fellow looks like a real handful of trouble. Cool that your kids got that experience.

Gary, I asked the Burmese guy if he used to fight leithwei. He said no, too rough. Muay Thai and boxing only.

It isnt the headbuts that are the dangerous aspect of Burmese boxing. It's the fact that you can get knocked out stone cold and your corner have a period of time to revive you before you go back to fight the next round.

They also don't use gloves. Wraps or tape are optional but not necessary.

Check out Youtube for Cyrus Washington. An American dude who fights MT and Lethwei in some of the biggest bouts. He had a trilogy of fight with Thn Tun Min. He almost popped an eye out of his socket fighting in one of his last bouts.

The don't wear groin guards those guys as they don't come big enough to hold their balls. ;)

that is some crazy azz chit! I ve never heard of it but damn, yeah brutal sport.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y0ErQmweheU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lordy - I don't see how someone could be a bare-knuckled fighter for very long of a career/hobby.

They are not.

Young man's game.

Actually it has been shown that you get less lasting brain damage from bareknuckle fighting than from using gloves.

You can hit harder with mma gloves on, so delivering potentially more damage while lessening danger of breaking your hands.

Oops, I read your post wrong MB, what I wrote doesn't really relate to what you wrote

I only have anecdotal evidence like from joe rogan who has a lot of all around experience

Lots on the internet about it.

About repeated blows that you?d get with a gloved hand compared to the relatively fewer hits that a single ungloved hand could deliver before the bones in his hand are shattered.

Conversely the was a guy down the pub, ex squaddy who was becoming mouthy over a period of a few weeks, pissing everyone off.
I thought to myself I?d have it out with him if it continued (20 years ago) anyway I wasn?t down the pub and someone else did just that, he got into a ruck with him and took one punch to the head, had to have his skull stapled together. Could easily have been me.

I found his drunken antics charming and endearing after that.

Squaddy=military?

The long time brain damage comes from being hit many times.

Not so much in fights as in all the sparring one does.
Gloves makes it possible to sustain more hits without being knocked out, than bare knuckles do.

So more superficial damage as in broken facial bones from bare knuckles, more lasting cell and neuron damage from gloves.

I can probably find the article, if you want to brush up on your Danish.

Lots on the internet about it.

About repeated blows that you?d get with a gloved hand compared to the relatively fewer hits that a single ungloved hand could deliver before the bones in his hand are shattered.

Conversely the was a guy down the pub, ex squaddy who was becoming mouthy over a period of a few weeks, pissing everyone off.
I thought to myself I?d have it out with him if it continued (20 years ago) anyway I wasn?t down the pub and someone else did just that, he got into a ruck with him and took one punch to the head, had to have his skull stapled together. Could easily have been me.

I found his drunken antics charming and endearing after that.

That was a pretty funny post, Mick.

" Charming and endearing" had me laughing to bust a gut.

That " before the bones in his hand are shattered" is why Tameshiwari work, to harden one's hands was and still should be such an important part of karate training.

In my heyday I could stand a brick on end and punch through it. I wouldn't try that today, but I still keep my hands in good enough shape that when I hit a head, it is the head and not the hand that suffers.

Back