The Official TreeHouse Martial Arts Thread!

I suspect he can look formidable and intimidating when you see him fight now. His skill level has to really be increasing and getting more sophisticated.

Let’s hope so. He said he is ok today but had been feeling a bit nervous as it was so long since his last fight.

I reminded him that everyone has been in the same boat as no fights/minimum fights have gone on due to COVID restrictions.

Well done! What's playing in the background? Sounds like bagpipes, or some kind of shawm.

Muay Thai Music.

It consists of a three piece band Horns, bells and drums. Traditionally the tempo of the fight is dictated but the band. Horns are for hands, Bells are Elbows and Drums are the legs.

So if the band are plating Bells and Horns the fight should be just Punches and Elbows. Bells and Drums would be Elbows and Knees/kick and so forth. The band also ups the tempo as the rounds process.

However in reality these days. They probably click youtube link and then the fighters go for it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice fight!

He's got some good reach and length.

I wouldn't want to fight him!

At this point in his MT journey, does he do any shin toughening or is that for later down the road?

Interesting about the music.

@cory

Thanks.

Regarding the shins. Most training is done with out shin pads. Kicking the heavy back and Thai pads does toughen them up. Then if you want to up the Anti you find a banana tree and try and chop that down with kicks.

They wear their shin pads for sparing and when they are doing Dutch style drilling.

Fun promo for Nick diaz fighting this weekend in ufc.

This fight is referenced in that promo above- Diaz vs Daley, definelty one of the most ridiculous 1 round fights in history.

I watched the Daley v Dias fight earlier today as well.

I am flying back to Norway today from the Uk. As I was down in London I popped into the old gym to see my old trainer.

He was doing a session with the General.

BD82DEE0-B7DF-44AA-93F7-121D7CD44774.jpeg

Who da General?

Geezus, he's a baby-faced assassin!

What's it like to train with him?

We've discussed shin conditioning and how it's needed to safeguard one's shins and make them effective weapons. After seeing that vid it made me wonder about elbows. They seem fairly tough and capable right out of the box but maybe i"m wrong, maybe if they are used to strike with by an untrained person, they could get easily messed up?

The ninja did some general MA and MMA training and he was generally exceptional, but one day he saw some some thick ice in the bucket of the Kubota and he decided to try to smash through it with his elbow. It's been kinda F'd up since then!

They are "tough and capable right out of the box" against the right target. Hard target, soft weapon...soft target, hard weapon. If you don't condition the weapon for the kind of target you mean to hit you will FU the weapon. Ninja got a taste of that. Try to crack a big skull with an elbow shot...it'll hurt the guy...and likely, you too. Better to use the elbow to a nose, cheek, throat, neck, groin...you get the idea.

I know some guys that break coconuts with elbow strikes...but...they do a lot of proper conditioning first. I have broken a coconut with a palm heel shot...soft weapon against a hard target. It took 11 months of conditioning, daily strikes against a rock with proper exercises and dit da jow as part of the process.

Good info, thanks.

Now I know that's just a collection of clips...but what I appreciated about that fighter was that he never went in for overkill, after making a decisive damaging strike. Control. I think that is not so usual in MMA.

I think that's part of the kickboxing rules, you can't jump an opponent when they have been knocked down. Please correct me if I have that wrong someone.

Geezus, he's a baby-faced assassin!

What's it like to train with him?

I once went into work hobbling like one leg was shorter than the other. I was having real trouble due to the dead legs or Charlie horses, as you lot call them.

That was after a couple of rounds sparring with Jonathan.

He was 15 at the time. 😳

Gary, hit the nail on the head regarding elbows. You can wear elbow guards when sparring, but that it really only to stop you cutting the opponent.

But do they want that life? Get much choice about being in that life? Have a chance to opt out of that life, if it turns out to not be what they want...without stigma?

I'm sure I don't know. I just wonder.

Back