The Official Treehouse Articles Thread

I was gonna wait to post til the end of the series to assess for coolness, but I'll go ahead and post now so people can keep up if they care to. Gives a chance for reflection until the next article is posted. It's a 7 part series posted weekly on quantum mechanics, with no math required.

Part1

Part2

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha!

I hear ya re "assessing for coolness", nobody wants to post a dud in the articles thread!

I'm going to read it because I want to see what passed the coolness test and because I dig all that Quantum stuff. But FTR, I've basically NEVER read a Q or relativity article that I could really understand. Prob just me!

It's not just you. The stuff's really weird, and probably requires math to really understand it, but then you have to know highly advanced math. Otherwise, you're left with imperfect analogies from the Newtonian world that don't necessarily directly apply to the quantum world.

Even if I don't quite get it, I find it all fascinating, and pretty close to magic, except the magic works every time, and can be repeated by anyone with the equipment and desire to do so.

Agreed, it is like repeatable magic, and utterly fascinating.

Alrighty then. I read part one. Thanks for posting. It was interesting and I think presented pretty well, but, in a nutshell, I don't really get it. I feel kinda dumb now because not only don't I really get it, but when he referenced certain tech things and how they are created and how they work (like chips), it's basically mind-blowing. How humans figured this sh*t out is f'g amazing. And also amazing that there are those select few (I think it is only "a few") that can come up with this stuff and then the hoi polloi like me, who are clueless.

Compare and despair, I guess. The techies probably mostly suck at treework, but if they were instructed, they'd probably do a lot better at it than I would at inventing/manufacturing/using chips.

And it does make me wonder what these techie folks would be doing if this was the year 10,000BC. Would they be like every other cave man rubbing sticks together, or would they be off to the side, studying the rocks, and wood and sinew, daydreaming about different and better ways to make fire.... :dude:

I printed out that Instructables article on When a Philips Isn’t a Philips and dropped it off to my 90 year old neighbor before I left for Michigan. He gave me a copy of a book on the history of the screw. He prefers Robertson square drives, and pointed out the article did not mention the hourglass-shaped ‘clutch drive’ fastener which GM used for a while.

some interesting info

Last edited:
Apparently Tony Bennett has Alzheimers. This is a nice article about him that shows how he's making out, and how music has helped his condition. It's from aarp, so there's also little tips in the sides and stuff for dealing with dementia...

Kinda sad because he was always known for his youth, as an old guy, afaik

That's a good idea, but there needs to be accountability for the money. We can't just hand it over to countries, and say "do the right thing". If it's to protect acerage in the Amazon, that acreage needs to be protected, and failure should be severely punished.

Not sure how they're doing it, but you could try clearing local storage for the site after you read your free article. I use CookieAutoDelete in firefox to handle it automatically, mostly for privacy reasons.

If they're doing it by ip address(doubtful), you could use a proxy of some kind so it looks like you're coming from somewhere else. Tor would be the easiest way, but if they really are blocking by address, there's a good chance someone read an article from them using the same exit node.

I'd look into removing local storage first, both cookies and supercookies. If you can give me address that's sure to fail after too many reads, I can play around with it and see what it takes to get through.

Tautonym is a new one to me!

Back