The Official Treehouse Articles Thread

Fun article. I always sniff trees I cut, but I don't put much thought in it. There's something I cut in the woods around here that smells lemony. I still haven't paid close enough attention to figure out exactly what it is, but one of these days I'll take the time to parse it out.
That might be sassafras...leaves smell citrusy...roots smell like root beer. It is a cool tree.

That was a possibility. They're always little trees, and it's usually in the middle of a huge mess I'm just trying to hack through, so I don't take the time to see what it is.

There's another plant that smells a bit like patchouli that I have zero clue about. I'm thinking it's not a woody plant, but I'm not sure. I only smell it very infrequently, but it's nice. That's one I'd especially like to find, cause I might try bringing some home to grow if it isn't some kind of nuisance plant.

Everything you wanted to know about screws...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good piece.

Its amazing the everyday things we tend to take for granted that used to be a big deal when first invented.

Unless I missed it, how do they remove the material in the recessed area in a screw head where the driver goes. Then mentioned it for slot drive but not the others.

I guess it wasn't *everything* you wanted to know about screws :^P

They didn't say, but it would be interesting to know.

That was super interesting.
Pretty much all we have here now is torx.

Well, whatever father fricker that invented the standard Phillips screw head should roast in whatever version of hell he believes in, as far as I'm concerned.

I wish all we had here were torx...or at least square drive.

“how do they remove the material in the recessed area in a screw head where the driver goes”

From the video I watched it appears the recessed area is pressed into the slug before the threads are rolled on and heat treated.

True, but given the Phillip's angled sides, the driver 'cams out' fairly easily so that sucks too

I have to disagree, whomever designed torx needs a boot stomp! Or rather the engineering department at jeep that decided to use them rather than standard bolts!
Well, whatever father fricker that invented the standard Phillips screw head should roast in whatever version of hell he believes in, as far as I'm concerned.

I wish all we had here were torx...or at least square drive.

is that because your toolbox doesnt accomodate? i have a turkish built ford that is all torx and i think they are great.

A nice thing about Phillips is it can abused to make due. A lot of bits can be force fit to get a job done. Torx virtually necessitates the correct tool. You can sometimes get lucky getting a flat driver to work, but usually not ime.

It seems to me having the correct tool for any job, is the right way to do that job. Having a set of torx drives is no different than having a set of sockets or box end wrenches, is it?

For sure, but sometimes you use what you have. I've done more building and repairs with my Swiss army knife than most people(present company excepted) have with every tool they own. The Phillips in my knife fits *a lot* of screws to one degree or another.

Interesting article about an interesting tool. I've never used one but one thought I have is that it would be sweet if it could be thrown with 2 hands instead of one, sorta like a lacrosse stick, a lot more power.

For hunting, I can envision it could be tough to get your animal due to the major motion required to throw the spear would cause critters to jump the throw.

I never knew they existed. I thought natives hunted with spears thrown from the hand, and I thought there's no way they could kill a bison. I've tried one before, and it seems quite possible in terms of the range and power. Much practice is needed to get accurate enough for hunting. I could weakly hand throw a spear like 20ft, but 100ft is no problem with the little atlatl stick.

Back